Monday, June 29, 2020

We Love Lists: #ReadingPride 30 Days of Queer Reads Week 4


Welcome to Week Four of #ReadingPride 30 Days of Queer Reads recommendations! If you missed Weeks One, Two, and Three, you can click here, here, and here to go see those lists. Here are my recommendations for Days 22-30! And just like last week, I've left links to our reviews if you want more of our thoughts on a specific book.

Day 22: Queer Book That Made You Take Action
 The Bride was a Boy was the first narrative I've ever read from the point-of-view of some who had transitioned and reading it was a wake up call. It made me realize that despite trying to be an ally and read across a wide range of sexualities I had neglected the T in LGBTQ+ quiltbag. Since I've read this book, I've made it a goal to learn how to be a better ally and a friend to the trans community. There was so much I didn't know and it hurts my heart that I neglected that part of the community for so long. I have a long ways to go but I'm trying to be better.

Day 23: Queer Book By An Author Who Is Dead That You Highly Recommend
I apparently haven't read any queer books by authors who have passed away so I'm going to recommend a couple books/series that I love but haven't been able to fit under a certain prompt. Some of my favorites. The Whyborne & Griffin series was the first series to scratch the queer paranormal romance itch I had. I love the Lovecraftian/Night Vale-esque town of Widdershins and I love the dynamic between Whyborne and Griffin. In The Vanishers' Palace is a genderbent queer reimagining of Beauty and the Beast where the Beast is a female dragon. It's glorious!

Day 24: Queer Book You Wish You'd Read When Younger
I loved grew up as part of the Harry Potter Generation and the series still holds a special place in my heart despite being written by an author with deeply bigoted and racists views. As much as I loved Harry and the gang, Carry On by Rainbow Rowell filled the holes that I wish weren't in my beloved childhood series. I loved seeing the queer rep but I also loved that we got to see the equivalent of two houses (Gryffindor and Slytherin) who were clearly enemies become friends and then more. It's really a wonderful book.

Day 25: Queer Book in a Historical Setting
Honestly, I just want to put all of Cat Sebastian's books for this prompt. She's my go to author for queer historical romance. I adore her Turner and Seducing the Sedgwicks series, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Hither, Page. This is the first book in a series and it's set in a small village in England post-WWII. The setting was unique but I fell head over heels for so many of the characters. I can't recommend this book enough. You should go pick it up if you want to read a quirky m/m historical romance between a country doctor and a spy.

Day 26: Queer Super Hero Book or Comic
I just finished this one and it was something else! I fell in love with TJ Klune's writing while reading The House in the Cerulean Sea so I was intrigued with what he'd do with superheroes. This book was very unique and very gay and I loved it! I can't wait for you all to read The Extraordinaries too.

Day 27: Favorite Queer Children's Picture Book
These two picture books by Daniel Haack are adorable! I love them both so much but Maiden & Princess may be slightly more my favorite.

Day 28: Queer Book That Made You Uncomfortable
 The Captive Prince Trilogy is one of those series that I ended up adoring but the first book contains some problematic content. Most of that stems from one of the love interests being a prince who gets sold to the rival kingdom as a sex slave. The Veretian court is debauched and although most of the content was handled deftly by the author it made me slightly uncomfortable. The rest of the series deals with some hard topics but it's only the first book that made me uneasy.

Day 29: Queer Book That Made You Want to Fall in Love
The love story in This is How You Lose the Time War between time traveling spies from warring factions. The romance is unique and beautiful and never had a book that made me fall in love with love quite like this one. It's one of my favorite f/f romances ever.

Day 30: Queer Book With Your Favorite Ending
I have a lot of queer books with endings I love but I fell in love hard with the happily ever after in In the Middle of Somewhere. It was one of the first no-YA contemporary m/m romances I ever read and I loved it so much! The main character, Daniel, is suspicious and prickly and has walls a mile high to keep everyone but his best friend out. I loved watching cinnamon roll, Rex, break them down and show Daniel what it is like to be loved. I always have a goofy smile on my face when I reread it.

That's the last of my #ReadingPride recommendations! I hope that you have found a book or two that interests you.

What books would you recommend to me for this prompt?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...