Monday, June 15, 2020

We Love Lists: #ReadingPride 30 Days of Queer Reads Week 2


Welcome to Week Two of #ReadingPride 30 Days of Queer Reads recommendations! If you missed Week One, you can click here to go see that list. Here are my recommendations for Days 8-14! And just like last week, I've left links to our reviews if you want more of our thoughts on a specific book.

Day 8: Queer Book With a Happy Ending
I know that Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda gets recommended all the time but there's a reason for that. For me, it was one of those queer books that had an ending that made me so happy to read. It still makes me smile like a goofball when I think about it.

Read my review here.

Day 9: A Queer Book Over 100 Pages
This is on the longer side of the queer books I've read this year and it was freaking fantastic! A Pale Light in the Black by K.B. Wagers is a diverse feast that I devoured in one sitting. It has an established f/f couple, an ace main character, and several non-binary characters. I never knew I needed a book about a space coast guard competing in an intermilitary tournament. It's one of those novels that remind me why I adore science fiction so much!

Read my review here.

Day 10: Favorite Queer Genre Novel
When I think of genre novels, I think of SFF books and I've read a lot of queer books that fall into this category. So, for this prompt, I'm going to go with one of my favorite new series I've discovered in the last couple of years. Badlands by Morgan Brice was exactly the book I had been looking for when I found it. It's a queer paranormal romance with a unique supernatural element thanks to one of the main characters being a psychic. It even has the jaded cop falling for the psychic medium trope and it was everything! I love Simon and Vic and each new book in this series (and by this author) is an autobuy for me.

Read my review here.

Day 11: Queer Book You Love in a Genre You Don't Read
 While I'm reading more contemporary romance than I ever have before, it's not my go to genre. I especially need to read more f/f contemporary romance or romances with a nonbinary character. One of my favorite reads of this year is Something to Talk About by Meryl Wilsner. It was a well-written f/f age gap romance between a female show writer and her assistant. It's a slow burn that had me yelling "Kiss already!" at the characters.

Read my review here.

Day 12: Queer Book with a Strong Sense of Place
  My favorite book of the year so far is The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. This story makes me so happy! I haven't been able to quit raving about it since I read it back in February and I have been recommending it to every one. This book is heartwarming, sentimental, weird and absolutely and utterly delightful! I picked it up for the queer romance and I kept reading for the six dangerous children, their mysterious caretaker, the invisible case worker, and the found family trope. The whole book just feels like you're reading about home. You come to love the house and Marsyas Island as much as the children. It's just a sweet book that's almost perfect.

Read my review here.

Day 13: Queer Book that Really Made You Think
I'm kind of ashamed to say that I hadn't really thought much about people who identify as non-binary and their struggles before I read I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver. And I have several enby friends. This book opened my eyes to a lot of things and since then I have learned a lot that now helps me in my job as a high school teacher create a more safe place for the non-binary teens in my school. This book is one that I made sure is on the shelves for my students to borrow. This book is so important! Not only because it has a non-binary main character but because it was written by someone who identifies as non-binary.

Read my review here.

Day 14: Queer Book That Made You Cry
 I've read a lot of queer books that have made me cry especially as a main character deals with past trauma but this is the first one I thought of for this prompt. Rend by Roan Parrish has a unique perspective because the main characters are already married. It's not a normal will they or won't they romance. It's an exploration of what it means to be married and in love and how to open yourself up to the person you love. This book is everything I never knew I needed in a queer romance.

What books would you recommend for these prompts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...