Monday, June 22, 2020

We Love Lists: #ReadingPride 30 Days of Queer Reads Week 3


Welcome to Week Three of #ReadingPride 30 Days of Queer Reads recommendations! If you missed Weeks One and Two, you can click here and here to go see those lists. Here are my recommendations for Days 15-21! And just like last week, I've left links to our reviews if you want more of our thoughts on a specific book.

Day 15: Queer Book That Made You LOL
All of Gail Carriger's books make me laugh but there's just something about her San Andreas Shifters series that has make laughing and smiling like a fool. There's so much great banter and one liners and it's oh so very gay. These books make me so happy! I can't wait to get my hands on The Enforcer Enigma in August! I already have it pre-ordered because I can't wait to read Judd and Colin's story!

Read my review of The Sumage Solution here.

Day 16: Queer Book That Is Really Personal To You
I don't know the words to explain how important it is that a book like this exists. I grew up LDS (or Mormon) in a majority LDS community similar to Provo. Several of my friends and I were in a similar situation to Sebastian where we couldn't come out as gay/bisexual when we were in high school because we were LDS and didn't want to be rejected by everyone we knew and loved. I still have friends who are still in the closet because of where we grew up. This book is an important one for all the queer youth growing up in conservative religious communities. It's one I definitely wish me and my friends had had when we were teens.

You can read my review of this book here.

Day 17: Favorite Queer Sequel or Spin-Off
I'm not sure if this counts as a spin-off series or if its more of a companion series to the Badlands books, but I'm going to go with the Witchbane series by Morgan Brice for this prompt. Vic and Simon are still my favorite series but I love Seth and Evan's adventures almost as much.  And there is quite a bit of crossover between these two series and the couple other companion series set in this universe as well. Morgan Brice is kind of the queen of crossovers.

Read my review here.

Day 18: Favorite Queer Book by a Favorite Author
There are so many books I could use for this prompt but I'm going to go with a book by a recent favorite author. I read my first Cat Sebastian book a couple years ago and have proceeded to devour everything she has written. Her Turner Series has been my favorite by far and The Lawrence Brown Affair is my favorite of those. Georgie is my favorite and his love story was wonderful! If you're looking for some great queer historical fiction, you need to go get Cat's books ASAP!

Day 19: Queer Book That Changed Your Life
I'm not sure that I've had a queer book change my life in the way most people think about life-changing things but I've read several that have hit me like a lightning bolt. One of those books for me was Lover at Last by J.R. Ward. I realized while reading this book that I really really wanted to see queer characters as the main characters in my favorite series and genres. I've always read fanfiction where the queer OTPs of my heart could finally be together but this book made me want my OTPs to be canon. I wanted them to get page time. Most of all, this book made me realize how much more fantastic some of my favorite romance series could be if some of the books had a m/m, f/f, or x/nb romance. Or have a disaster bisexual as the protagonist. Most of the series I'd like to see have this kind of representation haven't gotten it but I live in eternal hope that maybe one day there will be more than queer side characters in them.

Day 20: Favorite Queer Book Series
This isn't really a surprise to anyone who reads this blog, right? I have done nothing but rave about Witchmark since 2018 and I've been gushing about the sequel, Stormsong, since I read it earlier this year. This series is delightfully queer and full of a unique magic system, excellent worldbuilding, and intriguing politics! I seriously need everyone to go read this series now. Also, have you seen the cover for the third and last book?!? I need it in my hands. February is such a long ways away.

You can read my review of Witchmark here.

Day 21: Queer Book That You Recommend A Lot
Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston was my favorite book of 2019 hands down. I loved everything about this from the characters to the romance. It's also one of those books that I could have used happily for several of the prompts for this challenge. I recommend this book all the time and I literally shoved copies into the hands of several friends. And I can't even tell you the number of copies I've bought and gifted since this came out. It's one of those feel good queer romances that I just want everyone to read so they can come fangirl with me about how good it is.

You can read my review of this book here.

What books would you recommend for these prompts?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...