Monday, December 19, 2016

Goldilox and the Top Ten Lists: Top Ten Series Starters of 2016

2016 has been a crazy year and I know a lot of us just want it to be over. But before we let it go, let's look back at some of the good memories from this year: our favorite books. We've got ten days of top tens headed your way starting with my favorite series starters of 2016.


When I looked back at the books I read this year, I was surprised how many new series I started. OK there are a couple of spin-offs on my list, which isn't exactly the same thing. But I can only think of a few series that ended. Here are the ten series I started this year that I'm most excited to continue in 2017.


32176915Moonshadow (Moonshadow#1) by Thea Harrison
Released December 13
This is one of those spin-offs I mentioned, but since I hadn't read the original series it hardly counts. Moonshadow is related to Harrison's Elder Races series, which is set in the U.S., but this one features the European courts of the Dark and Light Fae. I didn't have any trouble getting into the world without reading the original series. And I loved the banter between Nik and Sophie. I'm looking forward to more from the rest of the Knights Nik leads.

32177538The Leopard King (Ars Numina #1) by Ann Aguirre
Released September 28
Goodreads Amazon
My Goodreads Review
This was my first Ann Aguirre book (Yes, I'm ashamed of myself for waiting so long.) It's full of tropey shifter PNR goodness, but it's set in this cool alternate world where humans and supernaturals have divided the land among themselves and are about to renegotiate their treaties. It reminds me of The Others series in some ways, but it also has fantasy elements that give it a unique feel.


30183216Necrotech (Necrotech #1) by K.C. Alexander
Released September 6
Goodreads Amazon
My Goodreads Review
Riko is a badass mercenary who wakes up in a lab with no memory of how she got there. When she escapes she learns that her old team thinks she betrayed them, though she doesn't remember doing it. By the end of the book, Riko's only answered some of the questions about who took her and why. I'm looking forward to finding out the rest as this action-packed cyberpunk series continues.
25791377



Mission: Improper (Blueblood Conspiracy #1) by Bec McMaster
Released August 16
I'm so happy that McMaster returned to the London Steampunk world! When we left it, the evil prince consort had just been overthrown. Now three years later, not everyone is happy with the new government that views humans, blue bloods (vampires) and everyone else as equal. The Company of Rogues is a covert group made up of characters readers will recognize from the earlier series established to uncover conspiracies against the crown. And it looks like each potential couple within the group is going to get their own book.

27213224


Breath of Earth (Breath of Earth #1) by Beth Cato
Released August 23
Goodreads Amazon
My Goodreads Review
Set during the days leading up the San Francisco earthquake, Breath of Earth features fascinating alternate history, a unique magic system where geomancers use crystals to harness seismic energy, and airships (my fave!) It also has a wonderful diverse cast and interesting mythology. It was originally billed as a standalone, but will now be a series and I'm just thrilled.



27015399
A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #1) by Amanda Bouchet
Released August 2
Goodreads Amazon
My Review
Cat is good with a sword, doesn't know the full extent of her magical powers, and has been hiding from a parent for years. Sounds just like one of our favorite UF heroines, right? But unlike the Kate Daniels series, The Kingmaker Chronicles is set in fantasy world that draws heavily from Greek mythology. I loved the supporting cast that includes both circus performers and soldiers, the magical creatures and the action in A Promise of Fire.


24452922Blood of the Earth (Soulwood #1) by Faith Hunter
Released August 2
Goodreads Amazon
My Goodreads Review
Here's the other spin-off on my list. I found the Soulwood series much easier to get into than the original Jane Yellowrock series, which took me a few books to get used to. The main character, Nell, was introduced in a Jane novella last year. Helping Jane with that case put her on Psy-LED's radar and brought agent Rick LaFleur, who we also know from Jane's series, to her door. I had been hoping for a Psy-LED series for a while now and Soulwood is everything I could have asked for. I'm always a fan of paranormal police procedurals and I love Rick's team. I really hope we get more than just the three books that are currently planned with these characters.

26109041The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange #1) by Kristi Charish
Released May 10
Goodreads Amazon
Rose Red's Review
Imagine drinking beer at an underground bar next to the ghost of Seattle's favorite grunge star. And the bartender is a zombie just like most of the crowd. Voodoo practitioner Kincaid Strange is there too - the ghost is her roommate. And she's just been hired to solve a zombie murder case. This is such a cool world! I think we have to wait until 2018 for the sequel, but that means everyone who hasn't read The Voodoo Killings has plenty of time to get caught up.

24934065Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1) by Alwyn Hamilton
Released March 10
Goodreads Amazon
My Goodreads Review
Rebel of the Sands starts off feeling like a western but becomes a story of political intrigue and djinn magic. It has frightening magical creatures and a fun supporting cast. I liked watching Amani discover her powers while the rebels won her over to their cause. If you're a fan of YA fantasy, check this one out. Book 2 is just a few months away.



21414439Truthwitch (The Witchlands #1) by Susan Dennard
Released January 5
Goodreads Amazon
My RTFB
This was one of those books I finished and just sort of sat dumbstruck for a while. I loved the girl power elements of the story and the wholly original magic system. There are also sword battles, horseback chases, pirate ships, sea monsters, and probably lots of other things I'm forgetting. Can I just say I loved Truthwitch and I'm so excited that the sequel is only a few weeks away!



Honorable Mention (because one of these things is not like the others)

29541818Idol (VIP #1) by Kristen Callihan
Released June 7
Goodreads Amazon
Rose Red's Review
I love the music in this book! Oh yeah, there's a rock star hero and a whole band full of hotties too. Part of me wants to bummed that Kristen Callihan isn't writing paranormals right now, but her contemps are so good I really can't complain.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...