Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Review: The Queer Principles of Kit Webb by Cat Sebastian


The Queer Principles of Kit Webb
Cat Sebastian
Release: June 8, 2021
Goodreads Amazon
Critically acclaimed author Cat Sebastian makes her trade paperback debut in a stunning historical romance about a reluctantly reformed highwayman and the aristocrat who threatens to steal his heart.

Kit Webb has left his stand-and-deliver days behind him. But dreary days at his coffee shop have begun to make him pine for the heady rush of thievery. When a handsome yet arrogant aristocrat storms into his shop, Kit quickly realizes he may be unable to deny whatever this highborn man desires.

In order to save himself and a beloved friend, Percy, Lord Holland must go against every gentlemanly behavior he holds dear to gain what he needs most: a book that once belonged to his mother, a book his father never lets out of his sight and could be Percy’s savior. More comfortable in silk-filled ballrooms than coffee shops frequented by criminals, his attempts to hire the roughly hewn highwayman, formerly known as Gladhand Jack, proves equal parts frustrating and electrifying.

Kit refuses to participate in the robbery but agrees to teach Percy how to do the deed. Percy knows he has little choice but to submit and as the lessons in thievery begin, he discovers thievery isn’t the only crime he’s desperate to commit with Kit.

But when their careful plan goes dangerously wrong and shocking revelations threaten to tear them apart, can these stolen hearts withstand the impediments in their path?

Review:
I've been trying to figure out how to review this book ever since I read it besides yelling at you all to go read it through the computer. One of my friends described this book as a historical coffee shop AU set in Georgian England and no truer words have been spoken. An even better description of this book came from the author who described it as "Be Gay, Do Crimes: Cozy Edition" and I'm 100% in agreement.

Like with every other Cat Sebastian book I've read, I completely and utterly adored this book! The story is about a retired highway man, Kit Webb formerly known as Gladhand Jack, who gets persuaded into helping an aristocrat, Edward Percy aka Lord Holland, with robbing their father. But instead of doing the robbery himself, Kit teaches Percy how to hold up a coach. They start to fall for each other as they plan and train Percy for the robbery. 

The whole premise of this novel was everything and I loved that Kit's coffee shop with its little lending library was the main setting of most of this novel. Both Kit and Percy are not what they seem and I loved how we discovered how soft each of them were under their tough exteriors as the story progressed. Also, I'm always game for the sunshine and the grump trope in romance and this was a master class study for it! I quickly fell in love with Kit and Percy from the start and I could barely stop reading it. I have never been so mad about one of my flights arriving on time than when I had to stop reading this book at the 85% mark. It also has a small hint of enemies-to-lovers which added some delightful tension. 

And oh the pining! The way the main characters pined for each other was everything! In my opinion, Cat Sebastian writes some of the best pining in the genre. Both Kit and Percy have to decide whether the robbery is the only crime they want to permit or if they wanted to commit the crime of pursuing a relationship with each other.

I loved everything about this book and I need you all to go read it and come squeal with me in the comments! I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel next year!

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss


    
  5 / 5 Stars!

 
My reviews of other books by this author:
It Takes Two to Tumble (Seducing the Sedgewicks #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...