Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Review: Two Rogues Make a Right by Cat Sebastian


Two Rogues Make a Right
(Seducing the Sedgewicks #3)
Cat Sebastian
Release: June 23, 2020
Goodreads Amazon
Will Sedgwick can’t believe that after months of searching for his oldest friend, Martin Easterbrook is found hiding in an attic like a gothic nightmare. Intent on nursing Martin back to health, Will kindly kidnaps him and takes him to the countryside to recover, well away from the world.

Martin doesn’t much care where he is or even how he got there. He’s much more concerned that the man he’s loved his entire life is currently waiting on him hand and foot, feeding him soup and making him tea. Martin knows he’s a lost cause, one he doesn’t want Will to waste his life on.

As a lifetime of love transforms into a tender passion both men always desired but neither expected, can they envision a life free from the restrictions of the past, a life with each other?

Review:
Before I get into the review for this book I want to point out that it's important to read this series in order. This book doesn't work well as a standalone. There's quite a bit introduced in the previous books that helps you to understand Will and Martin as characters and how they got to where they are in this book. I originally started it without having read the second book in the series and was confused within the first couple chapters. I put it down and read the second book first and it helped immensely. That being said, this review will most definite have spoilers for the previous books in it.

Now let me tell you some of my thoughts about Two Rogues Make a Right. I have a lot of them but I'm only going to talk about a few of them because I think this is one of those books that you should go into kind of blind after reading the previous books. And I'm not even going to be sorry that this is going to be rambly.

I thought this book was adorable! I wasn't sure about how this story would go since they quite literally found one of the main characters deathly ill hiding in the attic at the end of the last book. I loved the romance between Will and Martin! Y'all! It's a slow burn friends-to-lovers romance. And my dear reader! There's only one bed! I was all in! Plus, the banter was truly brilliant in that way that comes from two characters knowing each other for years.

This book is a bit different from the previous books in the series. This was pretty light on the plot side of things and was mostly character driven. It read like the best kind of slice-of-life fanfiction where you watch two characters who have very obviously loved each other for years come to realize that they really do love each other. It's also part hurt/comfort fic with a nice helping of the nursing your love back to health trope. And they read so many stories to one another! It was a sweet and highly intimate romance that involved lots of time spent together with no one else disturbing them in the countryside. This book is seriously one of my forms of book catnip. It was lovely!

There are so many great things about this book I adored but I loved all of the diverse rep it contained! One of the leads is bisexual (and possibly pan) and the other main character read to me as being demisexual or on the ace spectrum which was awesome! I really want to see more demi/ace rep in romance. One of the main characters has a chronic illness (consumption) and the other is still recovering from being an opium addict and has severe PTSD and both have been subjected to abuse at some point in their lives.

The main characters are messy and have clearly been dealt a crappy hand in life but those things are part of what makes their romance so great. And I loved that the fact that they were a same sex couple in Victorian England was just a side note in the drama. I was rooting for them to be together. Also, I loved that we got a romance where the main character doesn't magically get cured of his disease but still got a Happily Ever After. Martin's illness impacted their relationship and it was refreshing to see that impact portrayed in their romance. And I seriously loved how Will didn't shy away from it. We need to see more of that in fiction.

The story is a bit slow but that added to its charm in my opinion. I loved watching both Will and Martin (especially Martin) realize they loved each other. The two idiots really were adorable. I loved watching them learn how to live in the country and found it hilarious when they messed up and their neighbors criticized their "farm work". They were exceedingly terrible at so many things. Also, their interactions with Daisy and Mrs. Tanner were amazing! I seriously loved the banter between surly Martin and Daisy as well as the banter between Daisy and Will who is a legit softie.

Cat Sebastian has quickly become one of my favorite authors and I find myself rereading her books when I need a comfort read. If you're looking for a sweet queer historical fiction novel, then Two Rogues Make a Right is the book for you. Actually, the whole series fits that description. I'd highly recommend reading It Takes Two to Tumble and A Gentleman Never Keeps Score before picking this one up though.

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley

   
  4 / 5 Stars

Book #20- Spring- Read a Book With a Green or Yellow Cover


My reviews of other books in this series:

It Takes Two to Tumble by Cat Sebastian
A Gentleman Never Keeps Score by Cat Sebastian


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...