Thursday, December 21, 2017

Best of 2017: Favorite TV/Streaming Shows


2017 has been a rough year. We don't know about you but we've tried to find happiness in the small things this year. As we say good bye to this year and welcome in 2018, we were inspired by this Tor.com post to share with you posts that list the TV shows, movies, and the random things that brought us some joy these last twelve months. And of course we'll cover our best of books of the year, but not until next week. Today, we're going to be talking about our favorite shows!

Star Wars: Rebels Poster
Even before all the excitement about The Last Jedi, I was loving Star Wars Rebels. It's set between the prequels and the original trilogy and I'm having so much fun filling in all the puzzle pieces.

Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures Poster
I wish there were more episodes of  the Lego Star Wars Freemaker Adventures. This show is set during Episodes 5 and 6 and has appearances from Luke and Leia and even Hera and Chopper from Rebels. Yes, I know it's not canon because Legos, but the way they combine the Master Builders with the Jedi to create Force Builders is still really cool.

I finally joined my godkids on the Voltron: Legendary Defender band wagon this fall. I binge-watched all four seasons and it was wonderful! It was like Power Rangers meets Transformers in Space. It's a bit cheesy in parts and like most Netflix shows, it's really addicting. It made me laugh and was the perfect show to help me destress. I can't wait for Season 5 to come out because I need to know what happens next!


One of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid was Ducktales so when they announced the new Ducktales Remake, I was completely on board. And it is absolutely delightful! It's reminiscent of the old show while being it's own thing. David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck is everything I didn't know I needed. The whole voice casting for the show was amazing actually!

I've been binge-watching a lot of anime this year thanks to my Crunchyroll membership and my favorite of the year (and probably all-time) has been My Hero Academia. It's a different take on superheroes and I am all here for it! This show is the perfect blend of Western superheroes with Eastern culture and I need it to be the spring season so I can watch Season 3!

The Ancient Magus' Bride is one of my favorite animes of this fall season! It's whimsical and dark and so gorgeously animated. My friend, Nikki, made the point earlier this week that this anime is perfect for fans of The Raven Cycle because it perfectly portrays the same sense of longing for Something More even if it could possibly be dangerous. It's just a really perfect anime adaptation of a manga.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie is the anime that I didn't know I needed this fall. I related to the main character so hard and I quickly fell head over heels for this show! I loved it so much that it will be one of the ones I'll be buying when it hits the US market. I just wish that there were more than eleven episodes. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that there will be a season two.

Berlin Station Poster
Yes, we actually do watch live action shows too. This fall I've been loving Berlin Station.
First of all, it has the best theme song ever. Second, it amuses me to watch a bunch of Brits playing American spies. And the new season, which just ended on EPIX, dealt with the current political climate in a really interesting way.

The Will & Grace reboot is taking me back to the 90's. Even though the show's addressing very recent events, it feels like I never left those characters. I also love that almost everyone has come back for at least one episode, as long as I don't think about the ones that didn't - like Grace's mom who was played by Debbie Reynolds.

Gilmore Girls Poster
I'm also going back to the 90's, with the first season at least, of Gilmore Girls even though I just started watching it last year. What I first noticed was how sharp the dialogue is, but now I mostly just want to be Lorelei when I grow up.

What were your favorite shows of 2017?

and

Did you miss one of our Best of 2017 posts?
Favorite Movies

Did you see our Super Giveaway? Check out Wednesday's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...