Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Review: The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi


The Kaiju Preservation Society
John Scalzi
Release: March
Goodreads Amazon
The Kaiju Preservation Society is John Scalzi's first standalone adventure since the conclusion of his New York Times bestselling Interdependency trilogy.

When COVID-19 sweeps through New York City, Jamie Gray is stuck as a dead-end driver for food delivery apps. That is, until Jamie makes a delivery to an old acquaintance, Tom, who works at what he calls "an animal rights organization." Tom's team needs a last-minute grunt to handle things on their next field visit. Jamie, eager to do anything, immediately signs on.

What Tom doesn't tell Jamie is that the animals his team cares for are not here on Earth. Not our Earth, at at least. In an alternate dimension, massive dinosaur-like creatures named Kaiju roam a warm and human-free world. They're the universe's largest and most dangerous panda and they're in trouble.

It's not just the Kaiju Preservation Society that's found its way to the alternate world. Others have, too--and their carelessness could cause millions back on our Earth to die.
Review:
As someone who spent their teen years devouring everything Michael Crichton and Clive Cussler had ever written while simultaneously devouring all the multiverse books, mecha anime, and monster media I could get my hands, this book had everything I could ever want in it! It was like Jurassic Park and Pacific Rim had a nerdy baby and it was so much fun to read!

This was my first John Scalzi book so I didn't know what to expect. But OH MY GOODNESS! I seriously loved everything about this book! The characters! The alternate Earth! The kaiju! The science! It made my little nerd heart sing with joy! I haven't laughed out loud so much at a book in I don't know how long. The dry humor and the banter was SO good! I loved the interactions between Jamie and the other newbies as well as the veterans. Every time Jamie had to go up in the helicopter with Satie I found myself cackling like a madwoman. 

I don't want to say too much about the plot of this book because it's one of those that you need to go into a little blind. Were parts of it predictable? Yes, but I was having so much fun it didn't matter. I read the Author's Note at the end of my ARC when I was trying to figure out what to write for my review and I think Scalzi's words about this book perfectly encapsulate my feelings on the book:

"KPS is not, and I say this with absolutely no slight intended, a brooding symphony of a novel. It’s a pop song. It’s meant to be light and catchy, with three minutes of hooks and choruses for you to sing along with, and then you’re done and you go on with your day, hopefully with a smile on your face."

Mr. Scalzi, your book was indeed the perfect pop song and it put a giant smile on my face! I can't thank you enough for that and I sincerely look forward to rereading it many times in the future when I need a good pick me up. 
 
I can't recommend this book enough if you're looking for a fun sci-fi read! It is hands down one of my favorite books of the year so far! And I can't wait to get a physical copy to put on my own shelves to sit with the other Scalzi books that I predict I will be reading in the very near future!

 ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.

    1/2
  4.5 / 5 Stars


Recommended for fans of:
Pacific Rim
Jurassic Park
Stargate SG1




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...