Friday, June 11, 2021

Manga Review: Our Not-So-Lonely Planet Travel Guide, Vol. 1


Our Not-So-Lonely Planet Travel Guide, Vol. 1
(Our Not-So-Lonely Planet Travel Guide #1)
Mone Sorai
Release: April 20, 2021
Goodreads Amazon
Super serious Asahi Suzumura and laidback, easygoing Mitsuki Sayama might seem like an odd couple, but they made a deal; they'll vacation around the world and when they get back to Japan, they'll get married.

As they travel from country to country, the different people, cultures and cuisine they encounter begin to bring them closer together. After all they're not just learning about the world, but about themselves too.

Review:
The first thing that caught my attention about this manga was the cover. I was scrolling through Netgalley when I saw it and I immediately needed to know what it was about. Then I had to click the request button once I read the synopsis. This manga series chronicles the travels of a gay couple, Asahi and Mitsuki, as they travel the world before they head home to get married. I really haven't read a manga like this one ever.

We don't see many Boy's Love manga volumes that focus on an already established couple and it was refreshing to read it. You can tell that they are very comfortable with and care for each other but there is still a mystery for the reader around how these two got together. You get the feeling from their interactions that their relationship is still relatively new. One thing I loved about the relationship is that it falls very much into the sunshine and grump trope and I am here for it. It was interesting seeing the progression of this already established couple fall even more for each other and get even more comfortable with each other as they go on this adventure. I was living watching each character step out of their comfort zones to do activities and see places the other wants to experience. It was heartwarming to read.

As someone who misses traveling, I ate this one up. The art style took me a bit to get into but once I got used to it it really brought the story to life! The places they visited in this volume and the people they met made the story intriguing. I got sucked in and I read the whole thing in one sitting.  And you all! This manga was so cute! But now I have so many questions that I need answers to! How did they meet after college? How did they get together? What happened to Asahi before their trip? I need to know more! I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume but I might die of impatience waiting for it to drop in February 2022.

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley


   
   4 / 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...