Thursday, June 13, 2019

Five Reasons to Watch the Good Omens TV Show


What is this!?! Two lists posts in one week!?! You're probably asking yourself what the heck is going on. Did Rose Red mess up while scheduling posts? 
 
I didn't. But it's a valid concern. I've been trying to write a review for the Good Omens TV show for the last week so I can shout my adoration to the masses but I've had writer's block. Then the Bestie suggested I make a list to get the creative side of my brain to kick into gear and I loved the idea so much that my review become a list post.
 
I will give a disclaimer here that although Good Omens was one of my favorite books during my teen years it's been about fifteen years since I last read it. I remember some of the big things that happen but not a lot of the little details. Watching the show was like revisiting an old friend after not seeing each other for a decade, it was both familiar and new at the same time. That being said, I'm not going to comment much on the differences between the two because I honestly don't remember. I just know that I loved it and it makes me want to reread the book! Now onto the five reasons why you should go watch this show now.
 
1. The Casting Was Perfection!
I will admit seeing Crowley and Aziraphale on screen was everything! My god! Did they hit the casting jackpot!?! Michael Sheen and David Tennant were perfect in portraying each of their characters! David Tennant sashaying around as Crowley was every bit as glorious as I expected it to be. Michael Sheen I was bit more unsure of because the only role I can remember him in was Aro from the Twilight movies. But he killed it as Aziraphale and the two's on screen chemistry was off the charts. They weren't the only perfect casting. This whole miniseries had the perfect actor for each role. Jon Hamm as Gabriel was not something I knew I needed in my life.

2. They Kind Of Acknowledged That Good Omens Is A Love Story
I have shipped Crowley and Aziraphale together since my first read through of the book. Honestly, the book read as a love story to me even though it wasn't explicitly stated. I can't tell you the amount of fanfic I've read over the years featuring these two. And the tv show is like that but on steroids. You can tell that these two have feelings for each other. The showrunners and Mr. Gaiman have left it to us to interpret how we want and it looks like a love story to me. You can see their relationship change and grow literally through the ages and if they're not in love I'll eat my hat. There's been several really good articles about this very point and you should go read them because they made the point way more eloquently than I did. I especially loved this one by Emily Asher-Perrin for tor.com.

3. It's A Funny And Hopeful Story About the End of the World
One of the things that makes this show work so well is the humor and the underlying hopeful feeling. The whole story is about a demon and an angel trying to prevent the apocalypse because they like living among humans. Shenanigans happen and they misplace the antichrist they're trying to influence into neutrality. It sounds weird but it is amazing!

4. Neil Gaiman Wrote the Script
Good Omens has quickly skyrocketed onto my list of favorite book-to-movie/TV adaptations and a very significant part of that has to do with the fact that Neil Gaiman wrote every single episode of the show. And the fact he did makes me want to cry. One of the most well-known tidbits about how that came to be is one that pulls on my heartstrings. It all started with a promise. Before he died, Terry Pratchett asked Gaiman if he'd write the script for the movie and make it for him. And he did. I will openly admit that I cried when "For Terry" popped up in the end credits. I also cried seeing Terry Pratchett's trademark hat and scarf hanging on the coat rack in Aziraphale's book shop. I certainly hope that wherever he is Terry is proud of what Good Omens has become.

5. The Show Belongs to Queen and Agnes Nutter
I had two thoughts while watching this show: 1. This show is freaking amazing and David Tennant as Crowley is everything! and 2. My god! They spent a fortune license all the Queen songs in this show! And it was glorious. I also love that why Crowley's Bentley only plays Queen songs was left as a humorous inside joke to those who have read the book. It made my little book nerd heart happy. And the Queen songs they chose added perfectly to the narration of the story! It's one of the many things that made this adaptation so perfect! Another is how they wove Agnes' prophesies into the story and how they presented them. It was so neatly done!


 I wholeheartedly loved this show! I had high expectations going in and they were met with flying colors. I need to go a do a rewatch because I know there's some little things I missed. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a book I need to go reread.
 
Have you watched the show yet? Come squee with me in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...