Wednesday, May 15, 2019

We Love Lists: Books I Want to Read This Summer


This week is an exciting week! The classes I'm teaching at the community college have wrapped up and I've gone from working three jobs down to one. So my summer vacation starts now! I'm going to have so much time on my hands!

My goal is to read as much as physically possible before classes start again in the fall. This summer I'm going to low key be doing my own #SummerofSciFi and reading as many sci-fi books as I can. And like every summer (all year actually), I'm going to try and read as many queer books as possible for Pride month. I have a huge list of books I want to get to but I'll only mention a few of the ones that are catching my attention right now.

 
The 5th Gender by G.L. Carriger
Gail Carriger wrote a sci-fi romance novel and I need it in my life! I'm so curious to see how it turned out! I know I can expect lots of laughs, an intriguing plot, and a few sexy times but other than that I have no clue what to expect. My plan is to read this as soon as it hits my kindle on Saturday.
The Salvagers Series by Alex White
A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe is my book club's pick for this month so I'll definitely will be reading it. I actually really have no idea what this is about. Several of my friends who have similar reading tastes to mine have loved both books and can't quit raving about them. I'm excited to read them. If I love the first book, I'll definitely be picking up the sequel soon after.

 
Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
I know. I know! I can't believe I haven't read this one either. I need to read it this summer before her new novella releases in September. I know I will probably love this as soon as I let myself read it but I'm also hesitant because I'll be out of Becky Chambers books to read. I am glad I waited until summer because it wouldn't feel like summer if I didn't read a Becky book.

The Universe After Series by Drew Williams
The Stars Now Unclaimed was one of my favorite books of last year and I'm so excited to have the sequel in my hands! I do want to reread the first book before I dive into the second one though. Have I mentioned how much I love reading sci-fi books during the summer? I'm so excited to be doing #SummerofSciFi!

 
Running with Lions by Julian Winters
I recently read Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston and it got me into the mood for all the queer contemporary romcom books I can get my hands on. I really meant to get to Running with Lions last summer but was defeated by the Great Reading Slump of 2018. I won't be stopped this year. I have this on my TBR list of things to read during this year's Pride month.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
 Amazon is putting out a tv series based on this book with David Tennant playing one of the main characters so, of course, I need to read the book. I've read a few of each author's solo work and I'm really excited to read a book they co-wrote together. Also, this book sounds so intriguing! But then again, what book about a misplaced antichrist wouldn't?


I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver
This book is one of my most anticipated books of the year! It's a love story with non-binary main character written by a non-binary author. I think it's the first book of its kind to be published and I'm so excited that we're getting stories like this now! I love me a groundbreaking book. Plus, I've heard nothing but awesome things about it and can't wait to read it soon! Probably during Pride month.

 
Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse 
I'm kicking myself that I haven't gotten this book read yet. Trail of Lightning was another of my favorite books from last year and I'm dying to know what happens next after the end of the last book. I literally have no clue where this story will go and I'm loving it! I think this will be one of the books I read ASAP.

 
Reticence by Gail Carriger
I finally read Competence last month and boy howdy! I loved it! And it is making me impatient to get my hands on Percy's book. I just want to watch him fall in love and I want to know who that lucky person is. At the same time, I'm sad to be seeing this series end.

Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
You all know how much I loved The Illuminae Files. So when Jay and Amie described their newest book as The Breakfast Club meets Guardians of the Galaxy, I knew I needed it. I had an ARC but wasn't able to get to it before it came out so I started listening to it on audio this week. I'm loving it so far! Also, this audiobook is produced by the same people who did The Illuminae Files and it's amazing as expected! Yay! For full cast audios!

The Heart of Iron Series by Ashley Poston
This is my book club's August book and I'm so excited to read it! I decided to wait on reading this last year when I learned it was a duology even though the second book doesn't come out until this July. You can so bet your butt that I'm going to be binge reading both books soon after the sequel comes out. This series is roughly Anastasia in Space and I'm totally here for that.

The Indranan War Series by K.B. Wagers
I read the first book in this series back in January and I've been telling myself that I need to pick up the sequels to find out what happens next to Hail and the gang. I'm intrigued to see where the story will go in the next two books.

What books do you want to read this summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...