Wednesday, May 8, 2019

We Love Lists: Books Both Me and My Mom Love


Mother's Day is this weekend so we thought I'd do a special list post for the occasion! What better way to celebrate mom than by talking about books we both love!

I don't know if I mention this enough but I got my love of reading from my Mom. Our house growing up was filled with books and the library was a twice weekly stop for our family. She's the also the one who encouraged and supported me in growing my personal library. She would always read what we were reading especially if it was a book or series we were loving. I actually can't remember a time she didn't pick up a book I raved about.

As I got older, my Mom started telling me about the books she loved and got me into some of my favorite series! I would have discovered urban fantasy as a genre a lot sooner if I had listened to her. So let's talk about the books both me and my Mom share a love for.

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
When my sister and I started fighting over who got to read the newest Harry Potter book from Grandma first, my Mom decided that she needed to read them too. Soon she was just as obsessed with them as we were and reading them out loud to my Dad on the couch. I can remember how she was the first instigator on seeing the first movie and planned a whole day around it just so we could see it opening night. Harry Potter will always be special because it was my childhood. But it's also special because it was the first series my Mom and I both shared a love for.

The Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh
I'm proud to say that I was the one that got my Mom into this series. When I started binging them back in 2015, I couldn't stop raving about how good they were to my Mom. I guess my incessant gushing was enough to get her to pick the first book up. I think she did it to get me to shut up about it but then fell head over heels for it too. Now, we both countdown the days for a new Nalini Singh book. My mom will steal my Kindle so she can also read my ARCs just so she doesn't have to wait either. This is probably the series we talk about the most.

The Badlands Series by Morgan Brice
This one was a surprise shared love for me. I love a good queer love story but my mom is usually not a fan. But she loved this one too! It was such a relief that she did! I didn't even know she had picked it up until she asked me if I had the other books in the series. Also, it was nice that I wasn't the only one so caught up in the mystery that I wanted the romantic bits to be over with fast. Like mother like daughter, right?

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
The Iron Druid Chronicles was one of those series that we both picked up around the same time unbeknownst to each other. We played phone tag for about a week trying to tell the other to read it. After we found out that we both had finished all the available books at the time, we discussed it for hours. It was amazing!

The Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews
I'm the one who found this series first and it took a couple years to get my Mom to pick it up. But once she did, she was so mad I hadn't forced her to read them sooner. She then proceeded to marathon all of Ilona Andrews' books. I think it's safe to say that I got my binge reading tendencies from my Mother.

The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs
Mom is actually the one who read the Mercy Thompson books first but I'm the one who told her about the Alpha & Omega books so we both get the joint credit of introducing each other to the Mercyverse. This is another series that we both count down to. My Mom actually absconded with my Kindle a couple weeks ago so she could read my ARC of Storm Cursed first and I haven't been able to finish it yet because of it.

The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger
I'm the one that got my Mom into Gail Carriger's books and it's always fun to watch her read one for the first time. I apparently also inherited the ability to cackle like a madwoman at funny moments in books from Mom. The Parasol Protectorate is my Mom's favorite of Carriger's series. I'm trying to get her to pick up her San Andreas Shifters books soon because I think she'll love them just as much.

 
The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost
 My Mom is the one who picked up Halfway to the Grave after reading my co-bloggers rave about the series and convinced me to finally pick it up too. It was fun kind of reading them at the same time for the first time together. Mother-Daughter book clubs should be a thing. My Mom and I would be all over that if it revolved around UF and PNR books.

The Immortals After Dark Series by Kresley Cole
I had no idea until recently when my Mom asked for book recs that she's been reading the Immortals After Dark series for years. Neither of us had thought to inform the other about the series at the time, but now we read the newest books together and discuss them after. It's so fun! We both have different favorites which makes it fun to talk about which book is better.

 The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward
My Mom definitely was the first one to read this series first and I'm not ashamed to say that a stole the books off her romance shelf to read without her knowledge when I was home for Christmas vacation. I later admitted it. We both have had issues with some of the books in this series. But I'll admit it's been fun discussing what we didn't like about certain books instead of raving about each one. We both agree that Rhage is the best Brother hands down.

What books do you and your mom both love? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...