Monday, April 29, 2019

Review: The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu


The Red Scrolls of Magic
(The Eldest Curses #1)
Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu
Release: April 9, 2019
Goodreads Amazon
From #1 New York Times bestseller Cassandra Clare and award-winner Wesley Chu comes the first book in a new series that follows High Warlock Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood as they tour the world after the Mortal War. The Red Scrolls of Magic is a Shadowhunters novel.

All Magnus Bane wanted was a vacation—a lavish trip across Europe with Alec Lightwood, the Shadowhunter who against all odds is finally his boyfriend. But as soon as the pair settles in Paris, an old friend arrives with news about a demon-worshipping cult called the Crimson Hand that is bent on causing chaos around the world. A cult that was apparently founded by Magnus himself. Years ago. As a joke.

Now Magnus and Alec must race across Europe to track down the Crimson Hand and its elusive new leader before the cult can cause any more damage. As if it wasn’t bad enough that their romantic getaway has been sidetracked, demons are now dogging their every step, and it is becoming harder to tell friend from foe. As their quest for answers becomes increasingly dire, Magnus and Alec will have to trust each other more than ever—even if it means revealing the secrets they’ve both been keeping.

Review:
I guess it's time to confess something. I had such a visceral reaction to the events in City of Fallen Angels that I never continued with the Shadowhunter Chronicles. It was actually a series I had decided to give up on. That was until Cassandra Clare announced she was writing a book about Magnus and Alec. And just like that, I'm interested in the Shadowhunter books again. My favorite part of what I've read of The Mortal Instruments series was always Alec and Magnus so I was excited when I heard Cassie Clare was writing a series on just the two of them.

But I was still hesitant to pick it up. I really had a hard time with City of Fallen Angels. Then it was announced that she was bringing Wesley Chu in as a co-author on the series and I was completely sold after that. And guess what? I enjoyed the hell out of this book. It was funny and full of action and sexual tension. I really didn't know what I wanted out of a Malec book going into this but it hit all the right notes for me. The Red Scrolls of Magic is the story that Magnus and Alec always deserved. We can all relate in some way to two people trying to live in a world that wants them to be something they’re not but they are able to find happiness together.

I have always loved Alec and Magnus separately on their own and together as a couple. I shipped them so hard throughout the Mortal Instruments books I finished. Back when I read City of Fallen Angels, I was very disappointed that Alec and Magnus didn't have a bigger presence in the book after that huge scene in City of Glass. I just wanted to see more of their relationship and The Red Scrolls of Magic really delivered on that. It actually ended up being the story that I had wanted to read when I quit the series all those years ago. It was perfect! It's hard to imagine that at the time of this book their relationship was a super new thing. They're still in the getting to know each other phase and learning to really trust each other.

The events in this book takes place during City of Fallen Angels which accounts for why we didn't see much of them in that book. I can forgive that book a little bit now. One of the complaints I had about the Mortal Instruments books is that for a book about half-angelic demon hunters there wasn't much demon hunting. This book had it in spades. There was so much action and demon fighting and I was so here for that. But what I loved most is that Alec, not Jace, finally got his chance to be in the spotlight and he showed us (and Magnus) what a complete badass he is.

While it was filled with action and more than a bit of sexual tension, it was delightfully heartwarming, a bit lighthearted, and pretty hilarious in parts. Which isn't surprising since both Magnus and Alec are both pretty charming and compassionate characters. Magnus is more than a bit dramatic but that's honestly part of what I love about him. And of course, he might have accidentally started a cult as a joke. Only Magnus would.

I'm a little rusty on the worldbuilding for the Shadowhunter world but I found that I could jump right into this book with minimal confusion. Traveling through Europe was such a great setting for this story! I loved reading about their adventures in Paris and other cities I won't name because of spoilers. One of my favorite parts of the story was their whole time on the Orient Express. 

Can we talk for a minute about the side characters in this? The side characters were almost as great as Magnus and Alec. We got to see so many cameos from characters from the original series and as well as meet some new characters. I have a feeling that Helen and Aline are going to quickly become some of my favorite characters. It was fun to see Raphael again. And I'm really looking forward to getting to know more about Magnus' warlock friends in future books. I'm also intrigued to see where the story goes for a certain new character especially after that ending!

Overall, I loved this book from the first page. These characters, the themes, the story, the mysteries, the twists; it was all amazing! I caught some of the references but I think going back to reread this after I complete the series will illuminate other things further. I just want more and the next book won't be out until next fall. Hopefully, with an equally fabulous cover to match this one. I guess I'll just have to go back and read the rest of the Shadowhunter books in the meantime.

Note #1: As someone who has only read the first four Mortal Instruments books and none of the companion series, I found that having read through at least City of Glass would be beneficial for anyone looking to read this book. 

Note #2:  I switched back and forth between the audiobook and the ebook while reading this and the audiobook was excellently done. BD Wong did a wonderful job with the narration.

    
  5 / 5 Stars




Book 15- Magic Row: MC can wield magic

Recommended for fans of: 
The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare
The Infernal Devices Trilogy by Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...