Friday, July 27, 2018

Weres Wanna Know: What Have You Discovered at the Library?


If you were on Twitter this week, you probably heard about the Forbes editorial that proposed replacing public libraries with Amazon book stores. And you probably saw people talking about the many services libraries provide other than books - they serve as cooling centers during heatwaves and offer all sorts of classes, like ESL, basic computer skills, and STEM for kids, for example. Though just going to visit the books is great too.

These services can vary from one library system, or even one branch, to another so I thought it would be fun to share some today. Here are some of the things I've found at my library. I hope you'll share some of yours in the comments.

Book Signings and Author Events
My local independent book store holds some of their author events at the library. I posted about KissCon a few months ago. I'm planning to attend a similar event in August.


Art Exhibits
All of the library branches I've been to have displayed work by local artists, from elementary school students to professionals. I wrote about this art installation for The Geeky Blogger's Library Card month last year.



Kids' Activities
I asked my daughter what her favorite activity at the library was and she said it was making these tongue depressor bookmarks. (Can you tell which one is mine?) Our library sometimes has a craft station near the circulation desk. Another time we made pipe cleaner butterflies.

No automatic alt text available.

I actually meant to ask her which program we attended was her favorite, so I thought she was going to say meeting the horse. A local stable visits the different library branches during the summer and teaches kids about horses. After the presentation they get to get pet and brush the horse. We've been to this program twice in the last three years.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

We've also been to a petting zoo at the library.

I know there are lots of other programs we haven't seen yet. I actually feel like I need to do a better job of taking advantage of these free activities.


What have you discovered at your library other than books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...