Friday, April 14, 2017

Really Short Reviews: The Sarah Scribble's Edition


Adulthood is a Myth
(Sarah Scribbles #1)
Sarah Andersen
Release: March 8, 2016
Goodreads Amazon
Are you a special snowflake?

Do you enjoy networking to advance your career?

Is adulthood an exciting new challenge for which you feel fully prepared?

Ugh. Please go away.


This book is for the rest of us. These comics document the wasting of entire beautiful weekends on the internet, the unbearable agony of holding hands on the street with a gorgeous guy, dreaming all day of getting home and back into pajamas, and wondering when, exactly, this adulthood thing begins. In other words, the horrors and awkwardnesses of young modern life.

Review:
Adulting is hard. It doesn’t matter that I’m thirty and that I’ve been independent and living on my own for twelve years. Being an adult is hard. I don’t think I’ll ever feel like a real adult. And OH MY GOODNESS! Sarah Anderson totally gets that!

This is one of those comic collections that you’ll connect to on a whole other level. Seriously. The whole time I was reading this I was laughing and saying things like “OMG! That’s totally me!” or “Buwahaha! I’ve been there and done that.”. I was laughing so much that my boyfriend came over and started reading over my shoulder. We started it over immediately after we finished because it was that great! It perfectly describes some of the ups and downs of being an adult from getting out of bed to body image to being an introvert. I identified so hard with the introvert and bookworm strips!

I loved this comic collection so much! It is so amazing! I highly recommend picking it up if you’re in need of a book that will make you laugh. And it makes an amazing coffee table book!


    
  5 / 5 Stars!



Big Mushy Happy Lump
(Sarah Scribbles #2)
Sarah Andersen
Release: March 7, 2017
Swimsuit season is coming up! Better get beach-body ready! Work on those abs! Lift those butts!

...Um, or how about never mind to all that and just be a lump. Big Mushy Happy Lump!

Sarah Andersen's hugely popular, world-famous Sarah's Scribbles comics are for those of us who boast bookstore-ready bodies and Netflix-ready hair, who are always down for all-night reading-in-bed parties and extremely exclusive after-hour one-person music festivals.

In addition to the most recent Sarah's Scribbles fan favorites and dozens of all-new comics, this volume contains illustrated personal essays on Sarah's real-life experiences with anxiety, career, relationships and other adulthood challenges that will remind readers of Allie Brosh's Hyperbole and a Half and Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened. The same uniquely frank, real, yet humorous and uplifting tone that makes Sarah's Scribbles so relatable blooms beautifully in this new longer form.

Review:
This book was laugh out loud funny just like the first book! And I related to so many of the comics again! Page 72 is totally me, just saying.

But unlike the first book, the author kind of channels Hyperbole and a Half and has a few frank discussions for the last third of the book and accompanies each with great illustrations. These stories were relatable but not as fun to read about. Which is good considering they touch on topics such as anxiety.

Overall, this volume was enjoyable and hilarious but it wasn't as great as the first one. I still highly recommend picking it up though.


   
  4 / 5 Stars

Recommended for fans of:
Heart and Brain by Brian Seluk
Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
Giant Days by John Allison
Poorly Drawn Lines by Reza Farazmand


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...