Friday, May 20, 2016

Weres Wanna Know: What would keep you from reading a book?


Weres Wanna Know is a new discussion feature where we share a topic that's been on our minds and invite you to share your thoughts as well.



In the last few months, I've seen several people swear off a particular author/narrator/cover model because of comments they've made on social media. Though I understand that decision, I'm not going to open that can of worms again. I don't want to discuss any of those people specifically, but it's got me thinking about deal breakers.

What Would Keep You From Reading a Book?

I've never read The Hobbit because when I was three years old, I saw the animated version and was scared of the chair in the corner of my room for a week. (In the dark, I thought it was a dragon.) I still associate that book with the scary chair and I have no interest in reading it. Also, I will never read a book where I know something bad happens to the dog. Brutalize the humans all you want, it won't bother me, but leave the dog alone. And I'll probably never read the book that was my very first rejected ARC request. I've read other books that I didn't get approved for since then, but something about that first one really hurt my feelings and I just don't want to read it anymore.

I recently read a blurb that was so poorly written, I couldn't even consider reading the book. It had a typo in the first paragraph and a grammatical error in the second. (It was only two paragraphs long.) It was a subject I like and the book had lots of positive comments. And it wasn't a self-pubbed title so the author probably didn't even write the blurb. But I just can't.

I have the same problem with reviews sometimes too. I know nobody's perfect and I try to cut people some slack, but there's a point where it's just too distracting. If I can't read your review without getting out my mental red pen, I just won't read it. And if it has more GIFs than words in it, I'm not going to read that either.

What are your deal breakers?
Let's discuss!

If you have a topic you'd like to see discussed in a Weres Wanna Know post, let us know in the comments, send us a Facebook message, or email goldiloxandthethreeweres@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...