Friday, November 6, 2015

Really Short Reviews: Dark Kings #6-7 by Donna Grant


The Really Short Reviews of the books in the Dark Kings series continues with the next three books! Things are getting exciting, y'all! I loved them. I loved them so hard. Such amazing book crack! Like some serious book crack. I couldn't put them down once I started them. I'm officially caught up until the next book comes out next month and the wait may kill me! Seriously. Things are starting to go down finally! Just a reminder: If you haven't read anything by Donna Grant, don't start with this series! I would recommend picking up her Dark Sword books and the Dark Warriors spin-off series before starting this one to avoid spoiling both of those series. Have you started this any of these series yet???

Warning: These reviews are for the sixth and seventh books of this series as well as the novella between them. There may be spoilers so scroll down at your own risk.


Soul Scorched
(Dark Kings #6)
Donna Grant
Release: June 30, 2015

I'm going to be upfront here. Soul Scorched is my least favorite book of the series so far. It's still good but for me, it doesn't live up to my expectations from the previous books. Warrick is sent to Edinburgh with the newly awakened Thorne to watch and obtain information from a druid who has the unique ability to touch the Dragon King's magic. Darcy's unique ability helped Ulrik's magic to be restored despite the binding the Dragon Kings placed upon him to take away his magic. Con is almost certain that she is working with Ulrik to destroy the Kings. Warrick, on the other hand, thinks Darcy is an innocent caught up in a war she has little knowledge about.

The romance between Warrick and Darcy is intense and believable with the danger and a number of hurdles they have to overcome before they can be together. The romance is interesting but it wasn't my favorite part of the book. Darcy deserves a slow clap for trying to stay neutral and not choose sides between the Kings and Ulrik. In my opinion, the best part of the story is the build up that's happening towards what has to be a big battle and the showdown between Ulrik and Con. With war on the horizon, all of the Kings are being awoken to prepare for the inevitable and to do their best to keep their promise to protect the humans. 


Unfortunately, Con is becoming so wrapped up in focusing on Ulrik and his hatred that he's starting to alienate the other Kings. It's really starting to cause problems. Then there's Rhi and her story arc. I'm going to be honest, Rhi and her struggles and back story intrigues me to no end. She's one of my favorite characters in this series. I'm fascinated by her and can't wait until her story is told! I especially want to know who the heck her Dragon King is!

With it's mix of plot lines, stories, tales and legends and it's epic battle between dark or light, this series has me hooked! Seriously. Between shifting alliances, the unexpected twists, and the secrets being revealed, I can't wait to read the next books in this series!


   1/2
  3.5 / 5 Stars



Dragon King: A Dark Kings Novella
(Dark Kings #6.25)
Donna Grant
Release: August 25, 2015

This novella was super cute and I loved it! Arian has slept for the last six centuries and has only woken up in response to the call Con, the king of kings, has sent out so all the Kings can prepare for the war on the horizon. He is not happy about being woke up and even unhappier to find that his cave has an uninvited visitor. 

Grace Clark is fighting a bad case of writer's block and has decided to come to Scotland to see if she's can find her muse. She's facing a tight deadline and her publisher is pressing her to produce, but the words just won't come. In desperation, she just starts driving hoping she'll come across a place that is far enough away from society that she can be inspired to write. After much searching, she finds the perfect spot on a mountain in the middle of the beautiful Scottish countryside. A surprise storm sends her scrambling to find shelter to ride it out despite her fear of storms.  And where else would she find safe refuge than in a nearby cave that just happens to be Arian's? :)

I easily connected to both Arian and Grace and quickly fell in love with both of them! It was a brilliant move on Donna Grant's part to pair a woman afraid of storms with a Dragon King who controls the weather. Everything about this novella worked for me! And I can't wait to see more of Grace and Arian in the next books!

   
  4 /5 Stars


Passion Ignites
(Dark Kings #7)
Donna Grant
Release: November 3, 2015

Passion Ignites is my favorite book of the series so far! Which is saying something because I loved Rhys and Lily's book a lot!

Lexi’s trip abroad with her friends turns into a nightmare when she watches her best friend get murdered by a man with red eyes. After realizing that the police are not taking her seriously and the death toll is escalating Lexi decides to stay in Edinburgh to find the red-eyed monster all on her own. What Lexi doesn’t realize is that she has unknowingly stumbled into a war in a mission for justice. Unfortunately, Lexi is drawing all the attention of the wrong people and is heading right into the trap of the Dark Fae.

Once I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down! I was completely blown away by Lexi and Thorn’s story. I got pulled into the action and the intrigue from the first page! I loved Lexi! Even though she was being dumb in the beginning of the book with following the Dark Fae around. She's spunky and intelligent. She's scared of the Dark and knows that they're dangerous but she doesn't let that stop her. I loved when Thorn swooped in to rescues what he sees as an irrational female from the Dark, but what I loved even more is Lexi's grit and determination to keep going. Also, the girl knows how to protect herself. Too bad what she knows doesn't apply to the immortal paranormals she's up against. I laughed so hard when she stabbed Thorn during their first meeting. It kind of served him right.

Thorn can't help but be drawn to Lexi as he watches her. And I loved their initial interactions even though the first two or three meetings all ended with him being stabbed by Lexi. After saving her from more than one Dark ambush and watching her, Thorn ends up doing something I never saw coming. Lexi worn out and sick from her vendetta against the Dark literally collapses on the street and Thorn nurses her back to health. In taking care of her, it really is driven home how much the Kings don't know about humans. Thorn and his partner, Darius, have to call the human mates of the other Kings to get instructions on how to care for her. 

I found the scenes where Thorn cared for Lexi to be sweet. Add in the fact that he tries to be a gentleman and not take a peek while changing her clothes when she was out made me love him even more. But Thorn is hardcore fighting the attraction between them and is determined to see her get on a plane back to the states. Things get downright interesting when Lexi follows Thorn and Darius and discovers they're dragons.

Aside from taking care of Lexi, Darius and Thorn are not having much luck ridding the city of the Dark. For every one they kill, it seems that five more show up. As much as they don't want to, they need help and the Kings are already spread thin. It makes sense that they call on the Warriors and Druids for back-up. While they are all out fighting the Dark, Lexi is confined to Darcy's old apartment that is warded against the Dark Fae. Although, she's not out fighting, Lexi does all she can do for everyone who is fighting even if all she really can do is cook for them. Unfortunately, the Dark take notice of things and come for her. Things go from bad to really bad quickly. The last half of this book is a trip!


And oh my heavens, that ending!
Holy Hell! Everything just got turned on its head again! I just... What? What can I say? My mind is blown. I need the next book in this series yesterday! I also can't wait to get my hands on Grant's new series that features these mysterious Reapers that have been mentioned over the last couple of books! I'm intrigued to say the least!

 ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley

   1/2
  4.5 / 5 Stars


My reviews of other books in this series:
Dark Heat by Donna Grant
Darkest Flame by Donna Grant
Fire Rising by Donna Grant
Burning Desire by Donna Grant
Hot Blooded by Donna Grant
Night's Blaze by Donna Grant


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...