Thursday, October 1, 2015

October Releases: Buy, Borrow or Beg?

Buy, Borrow or Beg is our monthly new release feature. Each of the co-bloggers is going to tell you which books they're most excited about and whether you should buy - the ones we preordered or plan to stand in line for, borrow - the ones we'll be stalking at the library, or beg - the ones we've gotten for free as review copies or prizes that you'll be begging us to tell you about. Let us know what you're eagerly awaiting this month in the comments.

Buy

25452936Wicked Ever After (Blud #4) by Delilah S Dawson
Releases October 5 Goodreads Amazon
Tish and Criminy's encore and the Blud series finale. I'm thrilled to be getting another book in the series, but I'm so sad to see it end.

Owl and the City of Angels (The Adventures of Owl #2) by Kristi Charish
Releases October 5 Goodreads Amazon
Owl is like the Sheldon Cooper of UF heroines - part awkward gamer geek, part world-renowned antiquities thief. She started to come out her shell in the first book in the series and I'm looking forward to watching her grow. I also love this series unusual mythology.

The Professor Woos the Witch (Nocturne Falls #4) by Kristen Painter
Releases October 16 Goodreads
Just in time for Halloween, there's another installment in this fun series. If you like small towns with big personalities or lighter PNR like Molly Harper, give Nocturne Falls a try.

Single Undead Mom's Club (Half Moon Hollow #4) by Molly Harper
Releases October 27 Goodreads Amazon
Speaking of quirky small towns, Half Moon Hollow is another one of my favorites. I binged the first three books in the series so I feel like I've been waiting forever for this one.

Borrow

23358109Black Widow Forever Red by Margaret Stohl
Releases October 13 Goodreads Amazon
I have no idea what this book is actually about, other than it's a YA about Black Widow. That's good enough for me.

The Devious Dr. Jeckyll (Electric Empire #2) by Viola Carr
Releases October 27 Goodreads Amazon
I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but I hadn't seen Penny Dreadful yet when I read it. Some of the same figures from Victorian literature in both, though the book isn't as dark. Now I'm in danger of Lit. Major Relapse. I'll try not to compare and contrast you to death in the review.

Beg

24402674Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade #2) by Jennifer Estep
Releases October 27 Goodreads Amazon
I loved Cold Burn of Magic, the first book in this series. I loved the town of Cloudburst Falls and the fact that everyone in it carries a sword. This series feels a lot like Elemental Assassin to me, in a good way, but with a younger heroine. And did I mention the swords?

Wake of Vultures (The Shadow #1) by Lila Bowen
Releases October 27 Goodreads Amazon
I've been hearing about "Weird West Buffy" on Twitter for a year now. It still sounds like the greatest thing ever!



Buy

Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5) by Brandon Sanderson
Releases October 6 Goodreads Amazon
I am a major Brandon Sanderson fangirl and I am SO excited to get my hands on the latest installment of his Mistborn series! I need more Wax and Wayne in my life! I actually have no idea what this is about because I haven't let myself look, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I have the ebook, physical book, and audiobook all pre-ordered so I can read it as soon as I get my hands on it wherever I am.

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan
Releases October 6 Goodreads Amazon
I don't read a lot of middle grade/young adult crossover books, but I'm a huge fan of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus books. I'm so excited that he's writing a new series and that it's based on Norse mythology! I've been intrigued by the Norse mythos since I read Lord of the Rings as a teenager. I can't wait to read this book! Uncle Rick seriously knows how to write engaging and hilarious books as he sneakily teaches you mythology! Bring on this new series! Magnus Chase, I am ready to meet you!

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
Releases October 20 Goodreads Amazon
Illuminae has been getting lots of buzz from my YA blogging friends! So many of them have loved it that I can't not get this book. I'm intrigued by the premise and the fact that it's written in an unconventional format. I can't wait to read it and see what all the hype is about!

Borrow

Swords and Scoundrels (Duelists Trilogy #1) by Julia Knight
Releases October 6 Goodreads Amazon
Brother and sister champion duelists turned highwaymen? I have to admit that I'm super intrigued by this book. You hardly ever see fantasy books that revolve around main characters that are brother and sister. I haven't seen a lot of buzz about this book and the few Goodreads reviews so far have been mixed. I'm planning on getting it from my library so I can give it a try and have my own opinion on it.

Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor
Releases October 20 Goodreads Amazon
I absolutely adore the Welcome To Night Vale podcast so I'm going to totally read the book! I actually have no idea what this book is about other than it takes place in Night Vale. To be honest, that's good enough for me. I still haven't decided if I'm going to get it from my library or buy the audiobook that is narrated by Cecil Baldwin (the voice of Night Vale) yet, but I need to choose soon.

Wake of Vultures (The Shadow #1) by Lila Bowen
Releases October 27 Goodreads Amazon
I don't exactly know much about this book other than the author calls it her weird little western and knowing Lila Bowen (aka Delilah S. Dawson) this book is going to be a trip! It's been getting some awesome reviews from some of my most trusted blogging friends as well as great word of mouth from some of my favorite authors! I'm intrigued to say the least.

Beg

Owl and the City of Angels (The Adventures of Owl #2) by Kristi Charish
Releases October 5 Goodreads Amazon
I enjoyed the first book in this series and I was so excited to get an ARC of this book! It did not disappoint! In fact, I loved it even more than the first one! Owl is totally awesome and such an unconventionally strange character that you can't help but love her! My review will be up in the next few weeks! Also, check back later this month for a special guest post from the author!

First & Then by Emma Mills
Releases October 13 Goodreads Amazon
This book is being marketed as Pride & Prejudice meets Friday Night Lights. I'll admit that pitch intrigued me enough to request it on Netgalley even though I don't read a lot of YA contemporary. I've been hearing positive things about this one so I'm excited to read it.

Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade #2) by Jennifer Estep
Releases October 27 Goodreads Amazon
Cold Burn of Magic, the first book in this series, is one of my favorite books of this year and one of the few YA books I've managed to finish. I'm so excited to see what kind of shenanigans and trouble Lila and the gang get into in this book! I'm so happy I got an ARC of this one! I can't wait to read it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...