Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Really Short Reviews: Audios of Beautiful Bastard Novellas

I've been listening to the Beautiful Bastard series on audio and I must admit, this series is turning around all my previous feelings about contemporary erotic romance. I'm reviewing the full-length books as I listen to them and I'm reviewing the novellas here, in our Really Short Reviews format. 
Have you started this series yet?


Beautiful Bitch
(Beautiful Bastard #1.5)
Author: Christina Lauren
Narrator: Grace Grant, Kirby Heybourne
Release: July 9, 2013
Really Short Review: 
This novella did not do it for me like the full length book that preceded it. I gave Beautiful Bastard a solid four star review, but this one falls a little flat for me. The focus here is a much-needed vacation that Bennett and Chloe decide to take but the focus is more on the sweet side of their relationship than their panty ripping sex. As much as I enjoyed all of the sweetness, I still could have used more of the hotness and tension that makes their relationship so enjoyable. The other drawback here was the addition of Kirby Heybourne as the voice for Bennett. Not only was this completely unnecessary, but it just plain didn't work. Kirby's voice is NOT EVEN CLOSE to how I would have imagined Bennett sounding. His voice is smooth and "everyday guy", not Bennett worthy at all. It should be noted that clearly I wasn't the only one who felt this way because in later novellas Kirby is replaced by another narrator who does a MUCH better job. This novella is a must listen, as it furthers the series and the relationship of these two, but I'd recommend reading it in print or in ebook format before starting the next full-length book in the series.


 1/2
2.5 / 5 stars


Beautiful Bombshell
(Beautiful Bastard #2.5)
Author: Christina Lauren
Narrator: Jonathan Cole, Sebastian York
Release: September 3, 2013
Goodreads Amazon
Audible

Really Short Review: 
Remember my issues with that first novella? My lackluster review? WELL. This second novella is on the completely opposite end of the spectrum. Not only was Beautiful Bombshell spectacular, it was actually my favorite book in the Beautiful Bastard series so far! I wish this somehow could have been made into a full-length novel, but at 160 pages it is a decent length for what it is. Beautiful Bombshell is dually narrated by Bennett and Max. In this one the boys travel to Vegas for Bennett's bachelor party but - surprise! - the ladies are secretly there too! Feisty, hot, intense, romantic, surprising sex ensues! Fun for everyone! The best thing about this novella? That male narrator for Bennett Ryan whom I did not enjoy has been replaced by perhaps the sexiest voice ever. Bennett's voice here is deep. Extremely deep. And a bit gravelly and smooth at the same time. Whoever was in charge of finding this guy gets a big BRAVO from me. And Jonathan Cole is back with his sexy British accent, of course. The other great thing about this novella? Seeing how both men adore their women so damn much. They genuinely see themselves as unbelievably lucky to be with them and they melted my hearts. Beautiful Bombshell was absolutely delightful, super super dirty, and completely wonderful. I might have to go back and listen to this one again.

  
5 / 5 stars






1 comment:

  1. I read the first two books and it was the same thing for me. I loved the first book but felt "meh" on the second. I am not a novella person so I didn't even bother with them. This seems to be a hit or miss series for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...