Friday, February 22, 2013

Sabina Kane Read-A-Long (2) - The Mage in Black



Sabina Kane Read-A-Long!

This is the second discussion in the Sabina Kane Read-A-Long hosted by myself, Jennifer from The Book Nympho, and Jenese from Readers Confession!

Today we're discussing book two in the series, THE MAGE IN BLACK by series author Jaye Wells. You can find my review of the book HERE.

*SPOILERS!*

Quick recap:
  • Sabina has headed to New York with Adam to meet her long lost twin, Maisie.
  • She meets her incredibly nice sister, who is just a little more friendly and girly than Sabina is, as well as Adam's aunt Rhea, her assistant Damara, and their 'leader' Orpheus.
  • Sabina reconnects with vampire and ex-partner Slade, who is now known as The Shade and runs  demon fights out of the basement of his club.
  • We meet the Lone Wolf werewolf pack, headed up by Michael Romulous. Even though Sabina and him meet on less than stellar terms, they end up becoming allies.
  • Rhea and Maisie believe from Maisie's visions that Sabina is The Chosen One, the reembodiment of Lilith who will help unite the dark races
  • We learn a little more about the Caste of Nod, who apparently have Sabina's Dominae grandmother Lavinia in their pocket and seem to have it out for Sabina.
  • Sabina kills a Fae member of the Caste in self defense, runs away from the mages, has sexy times with Slade, and escapes a murder attempt by Damara.
  • Sabina, Adam, Maisie, and the werewolves fight a slew of vampires and demons back at mage headquarters. After the fight it is discovered that they have kidnapped Maisie and taken her back to Livina.

Now...let's discuss!
Leave your answers to these discussion questions or any other thoughts on the series that you may have in the comments below!

1. How do you think Sabina has grown or changed? Do you think Adam and Maisie have affected her and what's your opinion of them?

2. Aw, sweet demon love...do you like new addition, Valva?

3. How do you expect Sabina's mage abilities to develop in future books? Do you think she'll become more powerful than the other mages?

4. What's up with the owl, Stryx? 

5. What do you think of Slade (and his tryst with Sabina...) and do you think we'll see him in the future?

6. Can Orpheus be trusted?

Alright, chat it up!


Read-a-Long Schedule:
3/29/2013Green Eyed Demon
review/discussion @  The Book Nympho  
 4/26/2013Silver Tongued Devil 
review/discussion @ Readers Confession
5/31/2013Blue-Blood Vamp
review/discussion @ The Book Nympho  


4 comments:

  1. I really liked Sabina's subtle growth. She doesnt like it, but she learns to care a little about the politics of the races. I love how she continues to charge on meeting challenges, pushing fear aside. I freaking love Sabina.

    Demons steal the show in this book. G & V.

    Adam. I was kind of worried when he walked out & Slade walked in. But I think Adam & Sabina needed the space for the long haul. I like the Slade had Sabina's back & helped her to work out her frustrations, problems, and where her heart lie. I think Slade will return, not only to annoy Adam, because he is a dark race power broker in the largest city.

    I really don't trust the Mages at all yet, except Rhea & Adam. I'm worried about Maisie. If Sabina is supposed to be this all-powerful Mage & a major piece of this prophecy, what is her role? Just visions? Will she become jealous? Or is she just one of those pure of heart characters with no agenda? Jury is still out. Second thought: Does the Dominae even have her? She kind of wondered away? Why?

    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think with Sabina finally having people around her that she can call family and friends has helped her a lot. Yeah she's still bad ass but she can let out her softer side too.

    I love that G man gets to have someone for himself.

    I think that Sabina is going to be the baddest Mage around once she's finished her training.

    I don't remember much about Stryx from the 1st book so I was a little confused at first about him. But I definitely don't think we have seen the last of him but what that means I'm not sure.

    Girl's got to get hers and Slade was there when Adam was not. But I don't think it will happen again with them. I see them being friends and allies though.

    I'm on the fence about Orpheus. I'm not sure he's a good guy yet. But I could be wrong. He may just be a prick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Maisie, she seems like just a genuinely nice person and a great influence on Sabina. LOL. Adam, I'm really on the fence about him. He hasn't made me fall in love with him at all. We get snippets and bits and pieces of him, not enough to make me swoon.

    Giguhl has always been awesome. Valva's name is hilarious and I hope she's as fun as him.

    I also think Sabina is going to be a badass Mage. She just needs more practice and some confidence in herself.

    The owl is kind of freaky.

    I really did like Slade, he's a bad ass and I love it. Total opposite of Adam the goodie two shoes. I'm glad they hooked up, I hope there's more. LOL

    Orpheus seems liked an ass and I'm not a fan. He would have to do a lot to redeem himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. How do you think Sabina has grown or changed? Do you think Adam and Maisie have affected her and what's your opinion of them?

    I think Sabina has gotten more likable and is more willing to accept new things, like the mage community. Adam started the process and Maisie kicked it into high gear. I think Maisie is a good balance to Sabina and as of right now I trust her. I don't think she's hiding anything.

    2. Aw, sweet demon love...do you like new addition, Valva?

    Yay for Giguhl and Valva! I'm happy about the new character and I think she'll be a good addition to the 'team'. Plus it just adds to Sabina's growing network of friends and people who care about her.

    3. How do you expect Sabina's mage abilities to develop in future books? Do you think she'll become more powerful than the other mages?

    I hadn't really thought that much about it until one of my co-hosts posed the question, but I guess now that I think about it I do think she'll become really powerful. I think maybe she'll even have some kind of cool new mage power other mages don't have or something.

    4. What's up with the owl, Stryx?

    I was all into the cool creepy owl, but really? He was a spy for the Caste? Disappointing. I wonder if he'll be in the other books and if we'll find out he's more than just a spy for them.

    5. What do you think of Slade (and his tryst with Sabina...) and do you think we'll see him in the future?

    I was all about Sabina and Slade. That girl needed a release and Slade is a sexy vampire = perfect combo. Adam will need to work to get me back in his corner in book three. He was barely in this book and they had hardly any alone time.

    6. Can Orpheus be trusted?

    He might just be a dick, but I feel like maybe he is a secret bad guy. Actually, I also wouldn't be surprised if Adam's aunt, Rhea, turned out to be working for the other side. She's almost too good.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...