Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Review: Angel of Darkness by Cynthia Eden

Angel of Darkness
(The Fallen #1)
Cynthia Eden
Release: November 29, 2011
Add to Goodreads   Buy at Amazon
As an angel of death, Keenan’s job is to collect the souls on his list. He’s carried out his duty for two thousand years and never faltered once. Until he meets Nicole St. James. When the moment of death comes, Keenan hesitates, and instead of taking Nicole, Keenan touches the vampire who’s attacking her.

Cast out of heaven for disobedience, Keenan plummets to earth. Six months later, he finally manages to track Nicole to a bar in Mexico. He’s stunned to discover that the woman he remembers has undergone a dramatic change—she’s become a vampire. And when he realizes that she’s the target of all manner of enemies—other vampires, demons, even shifters—he’ll do whatever it takes to protect her, even if all hell breaks loose…
Review:

Angel of Darkness is the first in what promises to be an ultra sexy, paranormal romance series written by Cynthia Eden. This is one seriously sexy book with a great cast of characters and I was thoroughly captivated.

To be honest, my start with Angel of Darkness was a little rocky. As I've said before, I'm picky about my PNR and when I began this book I was less than into it for some reason. Maybe it was being dropped into the plot and not finding either of the main characters too likable at first? But truthfully, I read 40 pages and put this one down.

Fast forward a month or two and I picked this book up again. Boy, do I feel stupid for ever putting this one down! Although the beginning is rather jarring, once the action stops for a minute and we get to know the characters better I was completely in love. Keenan is strong and sexy, with that silent strength fictional angels are known for. But I didn't find him as boring as some of the angels flooding PNR lately. His personality and warmth came to the surface slowly as the plot went along and I grew to really like him.

Nicole was a perplexing character at first. At the book's start she is a sweet school teacher and we witness her almost death and ultimate saving at the hands of Keenan. Then in the next chapter she is a super sexed up vampire. This is what aided in my confusion and dislike at first, but as we learn her story I ended up finding her very likable. She's tough and savvy, but delicate and still learning how to be a supernatural.

The side characters here are actually just as deeply fleshed out as Keenan and Nicole. Knowing that future books in this series focus on such characters as Sam and Az, I was giving them the scrupulous hairy eyeball throughout this book. They both get my seal of approval! Sam is deliciously bad with a hidden softer side, while Az seems like he'll be needing to redeem himself.

Now, let's talk about what really matters. The sex. Whew! There are so many wonderfully hot scenes in this book I sometimes felt like I should go take a cold shower. Eden certainly knows how to bring on the hotness and she does so here. Keenan and Nicole sizzle in the bedroom! I look forward to checking out book two in this series, which focuses on Sam.

Recommended for fans of: angels, paranormal romance, angels with a darker side, and hot sex.


    
  4 / 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...