Thursday, September 3, 2020

Review: Fangs by Sarah Andersen


Fangs
Sarah Andersen
Release: 9/1/2020
Goodreads Amazon
A love story between a vampire and a werewolf by the creator of the enormously popular Sarah's Scribbles comics.

Elsie the vampire is three hundred years old, but in all that time, she has never met her match. This all changes one night in a bar when she meets Jimmy, a charming werewolf with a wry sense of humor and a fondness for running wild during the full moon. Together they enjoy horror films and scary novels, shady strolls, fine dining (though never with garlic), and a genuine fondness for each other’s unusual habits, macabre lifestyles, and monstrous appetites.

First featured as a webcomic series on Tapas, Fangs chronicles the humor, sweetness, and awkwardness of meeting someone perfectly suited to you but also vastly different. Filled with Sarah Andersen’s beautiful gothic illustrations and relatable relationship humor, Fangs has all the makings of a cult classic.

 Review:
I have been a huge fan and a follower of Sarah Andersen's comics for several years now and I've reviewed every bind up of her Sarah's Scribbles comic series here on the blog. When I heard she was going to be drawing a new vampire comic for Tapas, I was intrigued! The concept of Fangs was so different from her Scribbles stuff that I didn't know whether I would love it or hate it.

Good news! I adored it so much! It was funny and new way to look at classic werewolves and vampires. I instantly fell in love with Elsie and Jimmy and found myself counting down for the next comic to release. I was drawn in immediately and loved watching Elsie and Jimmy work through their differences and strengthen their relationship. The art style was both fun and stunning and so different from her style for Scribbles. It really worked with the story line!

As someone who faithfully followed the comic on Tapas as it was being published, I was hesitant at first to request an ARC because I thought I had read them all. Then I saw on someone's Instagram that physical copy was going to have never before seen comics she specifically drew for this edition. I requested the ARC so fast after that because I needed to see what she had added to the story. It was well worth it and I immediately pre-ordered a copy to put on my comics shelf next to my Scribbles collections. 

I agree with the synopsis that this comic has the makings to become a cult classic. It's quirky and fun and  just a delightful read all around! I can't recommend this paranormal love story enough to friends. I can promise that you won't regret picking a copy up for yourself. The only complaint I have is a small one. I really wish we were going to get more comics for this story but it sounds like it's finished. I would love to keep reading this comic for the next decade if the author wanted to draw it. That's some of the highest praise I can give a comic collection.

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.


    
  5 / 5 Stars


My reviews of other books by this author:
Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen
Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...