Friday, March 20, 2020

Review: Smoke Bitten By Patricia Briggs


Smoke Bitten
(Mercy Thompson #12)
Patricia Briggs
Release: March 17, 2020
Goodreads Amazon
Mercy Thompson, car mechanic and shapeshifter, faces a threat unlike any other in this thrilling entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling series.

I am Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman.
My only “superpowers” are that I turn into a thirty-five pound coyote and fix Volkswagens. But I have friends in odd places and a pack of werewolves at my back. It looks like I’m going to need them.

Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill–until she locked her doors against them. They left behind their great castles and troves of magical artifacts. They abandoned their prisoners and their pets. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures who remained behind roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived.

Now one of those prisoners has escaped. It can look like anyone, any creature it chooses. But if it bites you, it controls you. It lives for chaos and destruction. It can make you do anything–even kill the person you love the most. Now it is here, in the Tri-Cities. In my territory.

It won’t, can’t, remain.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Review:
Guys, there's a reason I eagerly anticipate the new Patricia Briggs book every year. They're awesome and so bingeable! I love so many things about the Mercyverse and Smoke Bitten once again reaffirmed why all over again.

Mercy is Mercy. I can't begin to explain how much I love her as a character! She's down-to-earth while being sneaky. I can't help but feel sorry for the Columbia Basin Pack sometimes. With each new book, I look forward to her snark and her outlook on each troublesome situation she gets into. And our little coyote keeps getting into trouble.

One thing I love about this series is how the world is always evolving and changing. Ever since Mercy claimed the Tri-Cities Area, they've encountered so many different creatures. Volcano gods, walking sticks with minds of their own, and black witches are all in a day's work for Mercy and her pack. But something is coming and the pack might not be strong enough to overcome it.

I never know what a new Mercy book will bring and Smoke Bitten delivered on that. I was constantly trying to guess what the heck was really going on. Things haven't been the same since they fought the witches in Storm Cursed. Mercy's marriage is having problems. Wulfe is being creepy and stalkerish. The neighbors are dead. Something is taking bites out of the werewolves. There's drama and a whole bunch of other stuff is about to hit the fan.

I couldn't stop reading once I picked this book up. I love romance but I have a hard time reading books with relationship angst and issues among established couples. The author handled the relationship portion of the plot with such deftness that I wasn't annoyed at the story. And what a story it turned out to be! This book throws reveal after reveal at you and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. It's a classic Mercy book for you.

I loved all the interactions between the pack and the other major players in the story. Things are happening that are going to have a huge impact on the Mercyverse soon and I can't wait to see how things are going to play out. This book has a lot of the Pack and a lot of Ben in it and I adored that about it!

I have so many theories about where things are going and I'm going to have to wait to see how things play out. Now I just have to wait another year for the next one. I can wait patiently for it, right? If you're trying to decide to read this newest addition to the Mercyverse, just go get the book. It's totally worth it for the snark and banter alone!

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...