Thursday, May 30, 2019

Review: Storm Cursed by Patricia Briggs


Storm Cursed
(Mercy Thompson #11)
Patricia Briggs
Release: May 7, 2019
Goodreads Amazon

In this new instalment in the No. 1 New York Times bestselling series, Mercy Thompson must face a deadly enemy to defend all she loves . . .

My name is Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman, and I am a car mechanic.

And a coyote shapeshifter . . . And the mate of the Alpha of the Columbia Basin werewolf pack.

Even so, none of that would have gotten me into trouble if, a few months ago, I hadn't stood upon a bridge and taken responsibility for the safety of the citizens who lived in our territory. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. It should have only involved hunting down killer goblins, zombie goats, and an occasional troll. Instead, our home was viewed as neutral ground, a place where humans would feel safe to come and treat with the fae.

The reality is that nothing and no one is safe. As generals and politicians face off with the Gray Lords of the fae, a storm is coming and her name is Death.

But we are pack, and we have given our word. We will die to keep it.

Review:
Oh, Mercy! How I have missed you! The longer than normal wait just about killed me. You all know that I'm a huge fan of the Mercy Thompson series. I've loved every book wholeheartedly so far and I think that Storm Cursed is going to be a front runner for my favorite book in the series. I loved it! We got witches and goblin kings and fae politics and miniature zombie goats. Oh, my!

This book like previous Mercy books was full of action and humor and surprising twists but this book was significantly darker than most of the previous books and definitely has a higher body count. I liked that this book was darker. Mercy claiming the Tri-Cities area as hers was bound to bring trouble and a lot of change and I'm glad that the book's tone reflects that. I'm loving where this story arc is going and I love learning more and more about this world. Like always, some of the twists surprised the heck out of me but I did call one thing and I'm proud of myself for seeing it coming.

With every book in this series, we get to see Mercy come more and more into her own and accepting and owning her place in the pack. Now, she's also the center of the Tri-Cities and supernatural political scene and I am here for the Pack becoming the area's protectors. I really enjoyed the politics a lot and I loved learning more about the witches and the covens even more! It was so fascinating.

One of the things I love about this series is the romance between Mercy and Adam. I need more books with established couples because these two are one of my favorite OTPs. One of the best things about this series has been watching their relationship change and grow into what it is now. Unfortunately, their responsibilities keep them separated through most of the book but when they're together they are relationship goals.

Another thing I love about this series is the side characters and they really shine in this installment. It was also fun to be reunited with some of our old favorites as well as meeting some new faces. I love so many characters in this series and with each new installment I end up loving them all a little bit more. Tad and Zee are back in the garage helping Mercy. The pack is the pack. And the vampires are still, well, the vampires. I just love how all the characters play off of each other and I can already tell that Larry is going to be a favorite. And I was absolutely delighted to learn more about Sherwood Post and his past!

While reading this book, I got the impression that Patricia Briggs is setting the stage for something major in the future and I think it's going to revolve around the witches. Maybe that's how Tom and Moira come back into the storyline? I'm just hazarding a guess.

I've said it before. There's a reason Patricia Briggs is one of the best Urban Fantasy authors out there and one of my all-time favorites. Reading her books is like coming home. They're comfort reads and I feel immediately at home in the world no matter how long it's been since I last picked up a Mercy or an Alpha & Omega book. The ending of this book just makes me want the next one in my hands right now! I just want to know what happens next!

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...