Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Release Day Review: Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs


Fire Touched
(Mercy Thompson #9)
Patricia Briggs
Release: March 8, 2016
Goodreads Amazon
Mercy Thompson has been hailed as “a heroine who continues to grow and yet always remains true to herself.”* Now she’s back, and she’ll soon discover that when the fae stalk the human world, it’s the children who suffer...

Tensions between the fae and humans are coming to a head. And when coyote shapeshifter Mercy and her Alpha werewolf mate, Adam, are called upon to stop a rampaging troll, they find themselves with something that could be used to make the fae back down and forestall out-and-out war: a human child stolen long ago by the fae.

Defying the most powerful werewolf in the country, the humans, and the fae, Mercy, Adam, and their pack choose to protect the boy no matter what the cost. But who will protect them from a boy who is fire touched?

*Library Journal

Review by Rose Red:

You all know that I'm a huge fan of the Mercy Thompson series. I've loved every book wholeheartedly so far and I am happy to say that Fire Touched is no exception! I loved it! This book was different than previous Mercy books and I don't want to spoil why so I'm going to try to keep this review short and vague. There is action and surprising twists like every other book in the series but the pacing is considerably different. It's slower and has a different tone. It is definitely a book that is starting a new story arc. I love how Patricia Briggs is making the necessary steps to keep the series fresh and from becoming repetitive. Personally, I saw none of the twists coming but I like the direction in which the series is going.

While Night Broken was centered on politics in the Pack, this book took on more of the world politics. Don't worry! There are still Pack politics in this book as I expect there will be in each book because Mercy is a definite part of the pack. I will say that there was some substantial progress with some of the issues that have been have been present for a while in the pack and I'm so happy with that progress even though I saw none of it coming. I love that even after having read the twelve previous books and the short story collection between both series, Patricia Briggs can still surprise me the hell out of me. I haven't been able to guess where things are going in the Mercyverse ever and I'm completely okay with that. What I love is that the Mercyverse is expanding to give us a bigger and scarier world for Mercy and the gang to be apart of and it's all happening with the characters staying themselves and developing with natural character growth. Mercy is still Mercy. She doesn't try to be something that she's not. She knows her weaknesses and doesn't try to pretend they don't exist. I love so many characters in this series and with each new installment I end up loving them all a little bit more. Adam is still amazingly lovely and all alpha. There's a reason why he's on my list of book boyfriends. And Bran is still Bran and all that comes with that.

Okay. I will quit gushing about how much I love the Mercyverse as a whole and get back to this book. As for the world politics, I've been wondering what would happen with the Fae after the events of Dead Heat and I had some theories. Let's just say that all of my theories were all super wrong. :) I would never have in a million years guessed where this book was going. Once I started this book there was nothing in this world that was going to make me put it down. Things started happening almost immediately and I was hooked! It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me audibly gasp, and made me swear. Let's just say that I experienced so many emotions while reading. It's a different pace for a Mercy book but for me, it was pretty much nonstop excitement peppered with action and some moments packed with this series' trademark hilarity. It also had a few tender moments that may have made my heart grow three sizes too big. Adam was just about perfect as always and I loved the the time him and Mercy got to spend together. I'm a romantic and their romance is one of my very favorites ever. 

I'm so excited to see what's going to happen next in the Mercyverse. Big things have happened and I'm excited to see where things go. There's a reason Patricia Briggs is one of the best Urban Fantasy authors out there and one of my all-time favorites. Reading her books is like coming home. They're comfort reads and I feel immediately at home in the world no matter how long it's been since I last picked up a Mercy book. Fire Touched is no exception and was a wonderful addition to one of my favorite series! I can't wait to get my hands on the next book! I need to know what happens!

Side note: Can we all appreciate just how awesome this cover is? Dan dos Santos deserves a slow clap for the art. I love it a lot a lot. I think it may be my favorite Mercy cover so far.

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley

    

2 comments:

  1. I love Dan dos Santos work. He does a great job with all of his covers.

    I love that Adam fixed his stupidity from the previous book. I so was really to kill him and his in ability to keep a hold of his cell phone and keep it out of the hands of his ex-wife. He really dropped the mic in this one. I'm excited to see where and how the pack reacts going forward. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I was floored with how Adam stepped up! It's a definite turn around from the last book!

      Delete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...