Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Release Day Review: Archangel's War by Nalini Singh


Archangel's War
(Guild Hunter #12)
Nalini Singh
Release: September 24, 2019
Goodreads Amazon
Wings of silver. Wings of blue. Mortal heart. Broken dreams. Shatter. Shatter. Shatter. A sundering. A grave. I see the end. I see. . .

The world is in chaos as the power surge of the Cascade rises to a devastating crescendo. In furiously resisting its attempts to turn Elena into a vessel for Raphael’s power, Elena and her archangel are irrevocably changed. . .far beyond the prophecy of a cursed Ancient.

At the same time, violent and eerie events around the world threaten to wipe out entire populations. And in the Archangel Lijuan’s former territory, an unnatural fog weaves through the land, leaving only a bone-chilling silence in its wake. Soon it becomes clear that even the archangels are not immune to this deadly evil. This time, even the combined power of the Cadre may not be enough. . .

This war could end them all.

Review:
Guys! Guys! You are not ready for this book. I thought I was ready and I really wasn't. I'm not sure how I'm going to review this book without spoilers but I'm going to try. I will say now that if you're not caught up on the series, stop reading this post now. There will be spoilers for Archangel's Prophecy ahead.

Dear lord! This book was an emotional roller coaster. One minute it had me laughing and the next I was an anxious ball of nerves on the edge of my seat. I made the mistake of trying to read a few chapters before bed and ended up finishing the book at 4AM. I'm both physically and emotionally exhausted. And honestly, I didn't expect anything less after the cliffhanger of the last book.

I ended up going back to reread the last few chapters of Archangel's Prophecy before starting this one and I'd recommend doing the same if you're able. So to briefly recap. The cliffhanger ending of the previous book was brutal. Elena had lost her wings and was enclosed in a chrysalis. Raphael wasn't in much better shape after trading hearts with his consort. Because of this, he and Elena both are in a Cascade-induced coma state and are getting ready to force themselves to wake-up. The problem is that they don't know if Elena will wake as Elena or the back-up battery the Cascade wants to turn her into.

Archangel's War picks up almost exactly where that one left off. So literally everything from the first page on is a spoiler for this book.

I know that's vague but there's a reason why I always look forward to reading each new Guild Hunter book every year. These books are top-shelf book crack. The characters! The worldbuilding! The big bad! Everything in this series is so amazingly done and is hands down one of my favorite urban fantasy/paranormal romance series ever.  

Archangel's War was an awesome addition to an already amazing series! I laughed. I cried. And I about had a nervous breakdown the whole last half of the book when the major battle this series has been building to finally came. I loved how this whole book was set up. It slowly eased us into the battle and then proceeded to drop us right into the fray. I loved that we got to see a lot of the characters we've come to love from previous books in the series again and were introduced to a lot of new ones as well.

Actually, we got a whole lot of expanded worldbuilding in this book that starts to set things up for future books in the series including the backstory of a certain blue-winged angel. To me, it really seems like Nalini Singh has set up the next book to potentially be Illium's book. I really hope it is. If it's not, I can deal with that too but it seems to be where the story is going. And I am here for it.

Nalini Singh proves once again with this book that she's a master storyteller and that I have no chance of ever predicting where she'll take a story. I can't recommend this series enough! Seriously. Go read it and come back and we can yell about all things Guild Hunter together.

ARC provided the publisher via Netgalley.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...