Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal
(Lux #3)
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release: December 11, 2012
Available now for Kindle
Goodreads   Amazon
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

Review:


“A slow, wry smile teased Daemon’s lips. “Simmer down, Kitten, before I have to get you a ball of yarn to play with.”
Annoyance flared deep inside me. “Don’t start with me, jerk-face.”
What can I say about Opal that hasn't already been said by other reviewers? It's just as wonderful, tension-filled, and sexy (for a YA) as the previous books in the series. Armentrout continues writing teens that feel real, somehow managing to keep everyone feeling their age but still imparting some serious hotness into the mix.

Daemon and Katy are full on 'together' in Opal and I admit, a tiny bit of their sexy love/hate angst is gone now. But really, a lot of it is still there because they continue to madden and frustrate each other to no end.  Plus readers now get the added bonus of tons of luscious make out scenes and some adorable cuddling moments. Daemon lovers will really love seeing his softer side in this one and these scenes make him even more swoon worthy.

“He…he kisses like he’s dying of thirst, and I’m water.” I smacked my hands over my hot face. “I can’t believe I just said that out loud.”
Lesa giggled. “Sounds like one of those romance books you read.”
“It does.” I started giggling. “But, oh Lordie Lord, it’s true. I’m like a puddle of mush when he kisses me. It’s embarrassing. I’m so, like, ‘Thank you, can I have another?’ Sad.”

Katy remains one of my favorite young adult heroines due to her lack of stupidity. She is likable and its believable that someone like Daemon would be into her. The fact that she is a book blogger and Armentrout gives us many scenes where Katy is talking about blogging or writing book reviews just makes me love her even more. She has a lot going on - she's dealing with her new abilities, her relationship with Daemon, and having a lot of guilt about everything that happened at the end of Onyx. There are a lot of events that take place in Opal that Katy must come to terms with as well and even though most of the time these events break her down she comes out stronger by the end. That's one of the things I like about her.

Dee is pretty broken in the aftermath of what happened to Adam, and her and Katy's friendship is pretty non-existent here. For most of the book I was just hoping that Dee would get 'fixed' before the story's end.

In Opal the characters are dealing with the return of a sullen Dawson, Daemon and Dee's long lost brother, as well as the return of another character that I will leave you to figure out for yourself. The gang decides they must rescue Dawson's human girlfriend from the DOD facility she's being kept at and the preparing for this mission is the basis for much of the plot.

The whole time I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. I knew this one would end on a cliff hanger...and boy does it! I'm highly anticipating the next book in this series, of course. There were some new characters introduced that I'm curious to read more about and I'm definitely wondering how the cliff hanger will be resolved!

Recommended for fans of: YA paranormal books, love/hate romantic relationships, name calling, and sexy and cocky guys with a secret softer side.


    1/2
  4.5 / 5stars

My reviews of other books in this series:

Obsidian (Lux #1)
Onyx (Lux #2)


2 comments:

  1. Loved this one! I want to read more about a certain teen-aged mafioso in the next book ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree completely with you!! I LOVE all the Lux novels!!
    and Opal, though not as good as Onyx in my opinion, was still AMAZING! I gave it 4.5 stars too!!!

    I love Daemon and Katy soo much!!
    I just didnt like the cliffhanger and I cannot wait until next year when the 4thbook comes out!!!!!
    fantastic review

    -Theresa Jones

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...