Monday, August 6, 2012

Early Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx
(Lux #2)
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release: August 14, 2012
Goodreads     Amazon

Previous books in series:
Obsidian (Lux #1) My Review
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.
Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…
The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.

Review: 
“What are we going to do kitten?”

My toes curled at the deep octave of his voice. "I don’t know."

“I have a few ideas.”

I cracked a grin. “I'm sure you do.”

“Wanna hear about them? Although, I'm much better at the show part rather than the tell.”

“Somehow, I believe you.”

“If you didn’t, I could always give you a teaser.” He paused, and I could hear the smile in his voice. “You bookish people love teasers, don’t you?”
Yes, yes we do. Thank you for noticing Daemon.

Sigh. How is a YA character so damn sexy? Daemon Black is back and just as alluring and migraine-inducing in Onyx. I must admit, I was concerned that Armentrout wouldn't be able to keep the magic going in this sequel, but I must bow to the master. Onyx is just as good as, if not better than, the first book in the Lux series.

Daemon and Katy's chemistry continues to spark off the pages throughout this entire book. In this one we see that both Daemon and Katy are finally admitting to themselves that they have feelings for, and not just an attraction to, to each other. Do they admit it to one another? Of course not.
"You know what I've been thinking?"

Why I hadn't crawled over the center console and into his lap yet? Because damn if I was wondering that very thing, but the car was way to small for those kinds of shenanigans. I cleared my throat.

"What?"
Katy, especially, tries to make up a hundred reasons why they can't be together. I really loved reading the back and forth between these two in this book because it was so much deeper than in book one. And all of the Daemon ass-ness is still there. His banter with Katy cracks me up and I still love Katy's strong refusal to give in.
"Not in this lifetime, buddy," I said finally.

"Resistance is futile, Kitten."
We get to see some of Daemon's softer personality traits as well in this one as Daemon becomes closer and closer to Katy.
“Because I know.” Daemon appeared in front of me, eyes narrowed. He thumped his hand off his chest, directly above his heart. "Because I know what I feel in here. And I'm not the type of person to run from anything, no matter how hard it is. I'd rather face-plant against a brick wall than live for the rest of my life wondering what could’ve been. And you know what? I don’t think you were the type to run either. Maybe I was wrong."
There is the introduction of new and mysterious character Blake as well. We can tell off right off the bat that something is up with him and I was wary of him. When new characters are introduced in sequels I am immediately like, "Good guy or bad guy?". Blake's secrets come out as the story rolls on and I liked the addition of him to the story. Because Katy ends up spending a lot of time with Blake, Daemon becomes insanely jealous and there are some arguments between the two that made me want to slap the jerk right out of him!

We also get to learn more about the disappearance of Daemon and Dee's brother Dawson. The whole aspect of the story that dealt with this subject was wonderful and surprising. Toward the end of the book it took twists and turns I was not expecting. This part of the plot was even more fast-paced than the rest of the book and full of action.

We all gush about Daemon and Katy, but the writing for these books is top notch and the plot is swift and interesting as well. I am SO looking forward to the next in this series, Opal, which releases in December! The end of this one really left me wondering where the story will go next!

And now, to end this review, I will share some of my favorite terms that Katy uses in Onyx to describe Daemon:
"douche canoe"
"moments of great dickdom"
"biggest wiener ever"
"suck a jerk"
"Daemon's douche-nozzle side"
"jerk-face"
Always a smartass, I thought, even in the worst situations. I think I kind of loved him just for that. 
Recommended for fans of: green eyes, sexy smirks, YA sci-fi that doesn't melt your brain, Armentrout series, and YA manboys.


    



1 comment:

  1. YAY! What a great review!!
    I LOVE Jennifer L Armentrout and love me some Daemon!!!

    BTW, Im a new GFC follower. Feel free to come follow back at My BLOG

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...