Wednesday, April 17, 2019

We Love Lists: Our Favorite Novellas

During the Romanceopoly Readathon last week, I came to a point where I had to read two books in two days to accomplish my goal. That was when I realized it would have been smart to put some novellas on my TBR. But I didn’t have an easy way to find some that fit the challenge prompts. And so a list post was born. 


It’s too late for me, but maybe it will help someone else with their Readathon woes. Novellas are also great for reading slumps because they’re less intimidating - these range from about 60 to 200 pages. And once you’ve finished one, the sense of accomplishment can help defeat the slumpy mindset.

28765742
Nightshades by Melissa F. Olson
I loved this UF trilogy about the Paranormal Bureau of Investigation and their new vampire consultant.

34910090
Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck by Molly Harper
All  three of the novellas in Harper’s Contemporary Southern Eclectic series are fun, but this prequel is the one that stands alone best.

33829309
The Truth About Cats and Wolves by Alethea Kontis
Imagine Jess from Gilmore Girls as a werewolf and you’ll get the gist of this YA novella set in the Nocturne Falls universe.
My Review

18045510
Frozen by Meljean Brook
Brook puts a unique paranormal twist on the Snowed In romance trope.


The Perfect Weapon by Delilah S Dawson
This prequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens follows mercenary Bazine Netal on a mission to retrieve an artifact that might appear in TFA.
My Review


Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews
Derek and Julie team up on a case. Derek's always been one of my faves in the Kate Daniels world and I wish we’d get stories about him.
Rose Red's Review


Diamond Fire by Ilona Andrews
Diamond Fire serves as a transition between story arcs in the Hidden Legacy series. I'll take any opportunity to be in this world - it's so good!
My Review

28008158
Wild Embrace by Nalini Singh
Okay, technically this is four novellas. My fave, Echo of Silence, is set on a deep sea research station and features a human engineer and Psy station commander. It also introduces some of the sea changelings, which was fun.


I adore novellas and have fully embraced the trend. I love being able to sit down and read something in a couple of hours. I'm whole-heartedly a Tor.com fangirl because the novellas they're publishing are amazing! While I could make this a list of my favorite Tor.com novellas, I'm going to try to include more than just those.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells
All Systems Red is the first novella in a series all about a rogue security bot who calls itself Murderbot. I loved this series so much! Murderbot is probably my favorite non-human character ever which is saying a lot.
My RTFB Post/Review


In the Vanishers' Palace by Aliette de Bodard
Guys. This is a f/f Beauty and the Beast retelling but with a dragon! It was everything I never knew I wanted! I fell in love instantly with the world and the characters. It's a story about relationships and not just a romance and it was perfect! Plus, it was delightfully queer.


How to Marry a Werewolf by Gail Carriger
I probably could have made this whole list a list of Gail Carriger novellas and it would have been 100% accurate. I adored her Supernatural Society novellas (Biffy and Lyall!) but How to Marry a Werewolf was just bloody brilliant and perfect! I loved the heroine, Faith, and I even adored Channing. This novella just hit all the right notes for me. It's one that I will be rereading a lot.

Alpha and Omega by Patricia Briggs
It would be hard to make a list of favorite novellas and not include the one that starts one of my all-time favorite series. As much as I love Mercy and her series, Anna and Charles's books are everything! I loved reading about how they first meet and come to know that they're mates. Just talking about this novella makes me want to reread it.

Secrets at Midnight by Nalini Singh
I have adored every single one of Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling novellas and since Gretl already talked about the collection I was going to I'll go with my second favorite, Secrets at Midnight. I loved Bastion's story and how he found his mate, Kirby. It was everything I loved about this series condensed into 100 pages. Plus, Mercy's brothers are the best!
My Review


The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal by K.J. Charles
This novella is actually a collection of vignettes and it is amazing! It's full of paranormal/horror happenings but it's also a love story between two men. It's amazing!

Legion by Brandon Sanderson
I adore Brandon Sanderson and his books so it was hard to choose just one novella to include in this list. But Legion has to be the one. I loved this sci-fi psychological thriller novella so much! Our main character, Stephen Leeds, isn't mad. Just his hallucinations are. I loved how when Leeds learns something new his knowledge manifests itself as a new hallucination he calls aspects. The aspects made this novella and it's series everything! I loved it!

Give us your novella recs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...