Monday, October 29, 2018

Review: The Stars Now Unclaimed by Drew Williams


The Stars Now Unclaimed
(The Universe After #1)
Drew Williams
Release: August 21, 2018
Goodreads Amazon
Perfect for fans of Firefly and James S. A. Corey's Expanse series, The Stars Now Unclaimed is a fun, adventure-filled ride around a far-future galaxy.

Jane Kamali is an agent for the Justified. Her mission: to recruit children with miraculous gifts in the hope that they might prevent the Pulse from once again sending countless worlds back to the dark ages.

Hot on her trail is the Pax--a collection of fascist zealots who believe they are the rightful rulers of the galaxy and who remain untouched by the Pulse.

Now Jane, a handful of comrades from her past, and a telekinetic girl called Esa must fight their way through a galaxy full of dangerous conflicts, remnants of ancient technology, and other hidden dangers.

And that's just the beginning . . .

Review:
The Stars Now Unclaimed
is the perfect example of why I read Science Fiction. Oh man! What a ride! There are so many good things about this novel that I can't believe it's a debut. The action sequences were thrilling and the characters are so amazing! I feel like Becky Chambers' blurb describes my experience with this book to a T:

"The only thing more fun than a bonkers space battle is a whole book packed with bonkers space battles. Come for the exploding spaceships, stay for the intriguing universe."—Becky Chambers, author of A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet 

This book got my attention right from the start because Holy Action-Packed Book, Batman! But I will admit that I was totally invested in the story once they lifted off into space. That was when the author finally started delving into the back stories of the people and their universe and I was totally here for it!

The world-building was actually more galaxy-building and it was done so well! The author deftly juggled the different races, introducing them to us at a pace that managed to inform me without being confusing or a massive info dump. Throughout the book, we learned more about the history of the galaxy, its planets and inhabitants, and its politics and I was intrigued from the get go. Especially with the Pulse and its affects on the universe. And as each new character was added I was hooked more and more until it was impossible to put this book down.

Overall, I loved this book! I loved that it was a fully contained story but it leaves enough open for more books. And I sincerely hope he does write a sequel. I'd love to go on another adventure with Jane, Esa, Preacher, Javier, Marus, and all the rest. I can't wait to see what Drew Williams writes next.

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.

   
  4 / 5 Stars


Recommended for fans of: The Wayfarers Series by Becky Chambers


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...