Friday, December 23, 2016

Goldilox and the Top Ten Lists: Rose Red's Best Books of 2016

2016 has been a crazy year and I know a lot of us just want it to be over. But before we let it go, let's look back at some of the good memories from this year: our favorite books. We're in the middle of our ten days of top tens lists so today I'm telling you my top ten favorite books I read in 2016.


2016 has been an excellent reading year for me! I've almost read 200 books and most of them were fantastic! The only problem with reading so many this year is that it is hard to only pick ten favorites. For the most part, I was able to do it. Although, you'll observe that one of my ten books is actually a series I marathoned this year.


The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers
Released August 18, 2015

This book is hands down my favorite book of 2016. It surprised the heck out of me. It's not fast-paced or action-packed but it's very character driven. It felt like reading a slice of life piece except that piece takes place on a space ship traveling to a distant planet. Becky Chambers is really talented at writing people in such a real way even when some of those people are actually aliens. They felt 100% genuine to me and I loved that the aliens didn't have human mindsets but unique ones of their own. I can't recommend this book enough! It's SO good!


The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

And this is the series that I have to include as a whole as a favorite book this year. I've been collecting The Raven Cycle books ever since I found The Raven Boys in my local Barnes and Noble shortly after it released back in 2012. I'm ashamed to say that even though I kept buying each book in the series, I didn't actually read them until this year and I want to kick myself for waiting so long to. I loved this series so much that I immediately wanted to reread it as soon as I finished. I'm so sad it's over but I'm so glad that I've finally read a Maggie Stiefvater book. I can see myself rereading this series over and over in years to come.


Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter #1) by Nalini Singh
Released November 1, 2016
My Review

 It probably isn't a surprise to any of you that a Nalini Singh book made my top ten list. While I loved every book she released this year, Archangel's Heart was my favorite. I adore Raphael and Elena and I can't help but sit spellbound when I read about their adventures. This book was epic and has set up so much for future books in the series that I'm in awe with it. I seriously can't wait to see how the events of this book affect the rest of the series.

Timekeeper (Timekeeper #1) by Tara Sim
Released November 8, 2016

Timekeeper is the one of the several amazing debut books I read this year and all I can say is that I'm sold on this series. The worldbuilding is freaking fantastic and the characters are amazing. It's a steampunk book where clocks control time. These clocks have their own mechanics and there's such a thing as clock spirits. I can't begin to tell you how much I loved this book! I also ship the romance in this book so hard! I can't wait for the sequel to come out!


The Marvels by Brian Selznick
Released September 15, 2015

Before this year, I had never read a Brian Selznick book despite hearing wonderful things about them. The Marvels caught my eye in the library and I was intrigued enough to check it out. I loved it! The format is half graphic novel and half novel and it totally worked for the story! I can't recommend this book enough! It was my favorite middle grade book of the year.


Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Released September 29, 2015
My Review

I'm a little late on this bandwagon because I was a little put off by the hype but Six of Crows was amazing! The characters were amazing and the story was action-packed. I can't help but ship all the characters with each other. I really need to read Crooked Kingdom so I can see how this duology ends. I'm scared for my darlings!


The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn #6) by Brandon Sanderson
Released January 26, 2016

I've been reading the Mistborn series for years now and I still adore it so much. I wend into Bands of Mourning knowing I'd love it but I could never have imagined the curveball we got thrown with it. Everything has changed and I can't wait to see how it impacts the next book. Random Aside: I want to be best friends with both Steris and Wayne. They're my favorites!


This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1) by Victoria Schwab
Released July 5, 2016
My Review

It's not a surprise that This Savage Song ended up on this list. I knew I was going to love it but I didn't realize that I would connect to it so strongly on a personal level. I adored this little monster book and I can't wait to read the sequel.


Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper #1) by Kerri Maniscalco
Released September 20, 2016
My Review

I don't read a lot of historical fiction, or debuts for that matter, but when I heard that this book was about the Jack the Ripper murders and a female scientist I was intrigued. Then I read the first chapter with it's scientifically accurate autopsy and I was hooked. It's my second favorite debut of the year and as you can see it made my top ten list. I can't wait to see what kind of shenanigans Audrey gets into in the next book!


Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Amy Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Released October 18, 2016
My Review

Illuminae was my favorite book of 2015 so it makes sense that it's sequel would make my top ten list. I loved Gemina! It wasn't as action-packed and anxiety-inducing as the first book but it held its own. I loved the story and the addition of the illustrations by Marie Lu. This book is as gorgeous as it was enthralling. I have no idea what's going to happen in the last book in the trilogy but I can't wait to get my hands on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...