Monday, June 6, 2016

Really Short Reviews: Psy-Changeling #9-10

As you all know, I've have become hopelessly obsessed with Nalini Singh's books. I cannot begin to tell you how much I have come to love them but I can tell you that I have reread this series five times since I first marathoned it last June. See? I told you I've become obsessed.

The fifteenth book in the series is set to come out this month and in celebration of its release I've been reviewing two or three books in the series at a time. There's only a little over a week until Allegiance of Honor is out! I was lucky enough to get a copy of it for review and I've already read it! It was SO good! Since I don't have enough to say about each book to warrant a full review, I'm going to do Really Short Reviews of the series so far! Today, I'm reviewing the next two books! If you haven't started this series yet, you still have time to do so before the next book is out!



Play of Passion
(Psy-Changeling #9)
Nalini Singh
Release: November 2, 2010
In his position as tracker for the SnowDancer pack, it's up to Drew Kincaid to rein in rogue changelings who have lost control of their animal halves- even if it means killing those who have gone too far. But nothing in his life has prepared him for the battle he must now wage to win the heart of a woman who makes his body ignite... and who threatens to enslave his wolf.

Lieutenant Indigo Riviere doesn't easily allow skin privileges, especially of the sensual kind- and the last person she expects to find herself craving is the most wickedly playful male in the den. Everything she knows tells her to pull back before the flames burn them both to ash... but she hasn't counted on Drew's will.

Now, two of SnowDancer's most stubborn wolves find themselves playing a hot, sexy game even as lethal danger stalks the very place they call home.

Review by Rose Red:
 


I really enjoyed this book! This series is my reading crack. I think the day that I stop reading these books will be the day I'll no longer be able to read.

I'll be honest, I was intrigued by Drew in the previous books but I really didn't love him. He was kind of annoying. However, in this book, I came to adore him! He is so sweet and sneaky! I never realized how complex of a character he was until we got the story from his point of view. We get to see the soft side of him, the sexy side and the fun side. I loved how he interacted with Indigo! He made it very clear how much and how long he's wanted her. The way he courted her was just adorable and the whole mating dance was so fun to watch.

What I really liked about this book is that the dominance trope we've seen in previous books got flipped on its head. Indigo is more dominate than Drew. That's just how it is. She's one of Hawke's most trusted lieutenants. I could follow her reasons in the beginning for not wanting to get involved with Drew with the age and dominance thing but her persistence on seeing things the way she was was slightly baffling as the book continued. After Indigo finally gave in to Drew, I absolutely loved them together. Their bickering and bantering, fights and makeups were great fun to read!

While the courtship of Drew and Indigo is the most prominent part of the story (more so than probably others in the series), there's still conflict with the Psy and SnowDancer. Pure Psy is becoming increasingly more forceful and trying to take advantage of SnowDancer's weak spots while coming after those most important to the pack. There's not a lot of suspense until towards the end but the intensity between Indigo and Drew more than make up for it. And we got to see even more of the wolf pack's dynamics!

Overall, another great book. I loved these two together! I was surprised by how much I ended up loving Drew by the end. It was great to get back to the wolves, too, because they are definitely one of my favorites out of the whole series!
  
  5 / 5 Stars!



Kiss of Snow
(Psy-Changeling #10)
Nalini Singh
Release: May 31, 2011
Goodreads Amazon
Since the moment of her defection from the PsyNet and into the SnowDancer wolf pack, Sienna Lauren has had one weakness. Hawke. Alpha and dangerous, he compels her to madness.

Hawke is used to walking alone, having lost the woman who would’ve been his mate long ago. But Sienna fascinates the primal heart of him, even as he tells himself she is far too young to handle the wild fury of the wolf.

Then Sienna changes the rules and suddenly, there is no more distance, only the most intimate of battles between two people who were never meant to meet. Yet as they strip away each other’s secrets in a storm of raw emotion, they must also ready themselves for a far more vicious fight…

A deadly enemy is out to destroy SnowDancer, striking at everything they hold dear, but it is Sienna’s darkest secret that may yet savage the pack that is her home…and the alpha who is its heartbeat…

Review by Rose Red:

FINALLY! I have been waiting for this book for the last several books. If you want the short version of my thoughts: I ADORED IT! Nalini Singh couldn't have done a better job in writing the romance between the alpha of SnowDancer and Sienna Lauren.

Hawke and Sienna's interactions amused me in the previous books and I'll admit that I was curious about both of their backstories and personalities. But I was slightly nervous going into this book. I'd been hyping myself up for it for the last five books and I was a bit worried about how Nalini Singh would deal with the age difference. I shouldn't have been worried. It was amazingly done. I really, really love Hawke and Sienna together! But this book isn't just their story, there's another couple introduced in this book that I was not expecting to ever become a couple at all. I loved the addition of that storyline though!

I've loved Hawke for several books now even though he comes off as bit of a jerk. The interactions between him and Lucas, the Alpha of Darkriver, make me smile. I loved getting to find out more about him. He is most definitely an Alpha that's easy to adore. Loyal, generous, and strong, he is the heart of his pack. He had to become alpha at a very young age but he rebuilt SnowDancer from a pack on the brink of destruction to the world power it is in this book. Even though he's the Alpha of a large pack, he's been brutally alone. He lost the girl who was meant to be his mate as a child and he never recovered from it. He wasn't interested in being romantically involved with anyone ever. Until beautiful, aggravating, and stubborn Sienna walked into his life and continually tested his patience at every turn. Honestly, I'll probably never get tired of reading about Hawke because he's a fascinating character! He's an alpha male without the bullying tendency. Don't get me wrong. He's used to getting what he wants, but he finds it fascinating that Sienna dares to stand up to him.

As for Sienna, having grown up in Silence, it surprised me just how emotional and loving she was. Although, I shouldn't have been surprised. Her Uncle Judd showed us just how much a brutally silent Psy can love. Although Sienna is only nineteen, she's seen and done enough in her life to have the heart and mind of someone much, much older. Her power and life experience would age anyone. Nalini Singh has such a way of writing heroines that I can wholeheartedly sympathize with. In the last few books, every heroine basically broke my heart and Sienna was no exception. First, there's the helplessness she felt at her almost impossible relationship with Hawke. Then, there's the problem of the destructiveness and strength of her powers that scare even those Psy who are Silent. As usual with this series, I was on the edge of my seat wondering what solutions could be found by the end of book to solve Sienna's problems.

This book totally took me on an emotional roller-coaster ride. Not only with Hawke and Sienna, but with the rest of the characters as well. I love how the relationships between characters have been built up so care about them all whether they're the center of the story or not! Also, I loved that this book had two romances happening at once. I would have never pictured the healer, Lara, getting together with Walker Lauren, but it's a thing that happened and I wouldn't have it any other way! Also, their romance was sweet and a perfect counterbalance to how angsty Hawke and Sienna's courtship was. They get their own novella set after this book and it is amazing!

Lastly, the backstory and the war were merged seamlessly into the story line so that it didn't take away from the romance at all but enhanced it. The ending was also totally believable. And because of how the way the story was built, it didn't feel contrived like it just popped out of thin air. Rather, it flowed naturally from the rest of the story.
 

I loved this book this so much that there aren't enough good things I can say about it. Just that if you haven't started this series yet, go borrow the books and fix that! And I hope that you love it as much as I do! It's definitely become one of my all-time favorite paranormal/sci-fi romance series!
  
  5 / 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...