Saturday, April 2, 2016

Superweek Movie Review: Megamind

Welcome to the first ever Superweek at Goldilox and the Three Weres! It's an entire week devoted to superheroes, supervillains, and superpowers.

While Gretl has been wanting to start doing TV reviews here on the blog, I've been wanting to branch into movie reviews. So we decided superhero week seemed like a good place to launch the idea. Gretl wrote a fantastic review about Legends of Tomorrow that you should check out! As for me, I'm going to be reviewing the wonderful Dreamworks movie, Megamind! I saw it for the very first time over Easter break and I'm so sad that it took me so long to watch it! Feel free to share your thoughts on the movie in the comments!
 
 
I loved this movie SO much! It had everything that I look for in an animated movie: great humor, awesome characters, and top-notch animation. For me, Megamind was so enjoyable because it was both an homage to and a parody of Superman. In this version, not one but two doomed planets send a newborn son to Earth. One of the boys can fly, has super strength, and suave good looks. So of course after his pod crash lands on the property of a wealthy couple, he is the one destined to become the superhero, Metroman. The other boy has blue skin, a huge head, and a fish-like minion encased in a glass ball. He, of course, is destined to become the villain, Megamind, when his pod crashes within the confines of a prison and is subsequently adopted by the prisoners who teach him the ways of evil.
 
Metroman, voiced by Brad Pitt, and Megamind, voiced by Will Ferrell, spend their lives locked in the classic battle of good vs. evil with Megamind always losing and ending up in jail. On the day Metro Man is being honored by the city, Megamind breaks out of jail with the help of his talking fish named Minion and kidnaps Roxanne Ritchi, star news reporter voiced by Tina Fey. Megamind finally defeats Metro Man and takes over the city. He soon realizes that being evil is boring without someone good to fight against. And what does he do now that he's won?
 
Megamind is one of those animated movies that has a lot more going on than meets the eye and was utterly brilliant! This movie is perfect for the whole family. An all-star cast lent their voices to what was a hilarious and heart-warming story. My boyfriend, his daughter, and I all enjoyed it immensely! Personally, I loved how this story explored the concept of coming to terms with the fact that our real destinies and success in this life are not always what looks and circumstances dictate. I loved all the twists the movie took and the ending was fantastic and cute! If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend you doing so!


Have you seen the movie?
What did you think?





Have you seen our Superweek Superhero Giveaway? Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...