Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Pure
(Covenant #2)
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release: April 3, 2012
Goodreads   Amazon
There is need. And then there is Fate
Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her.
When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.
Review:

"And what if he did love you, Alex? What then? Would you be satisfied with being something he had to hide? Satisfied with lying to everyone and watching him pretend like he didn't care for you? Then, when you did get caught, would you be satisfied giving your life up for him?"

Whew. This book exhausted me. Armentrout packs punch after punch for poor Alex and my heart ached for her several times throughout this book. The first in this series was entertaining, fun, and romantic, but this sequel hammers home that this series is one to continue.

I love Alex. She is a spunky and impulsive character and when those traits lead to stupid mistakes my heart goes out to her. There are a lot of ups and downs in this one. It almost feels like the story is told in two parts: Before the Council Trip and During the Council Trip.

Before the trip to New York to testify before the Council, Alex deals with a series of emotional hardships, one of which includes her continuing feelings for Aiden, the pure blood she can never be with. Aiden is still training her and they are spending a lot of time together, but chivalrous Aiden refuses to cross that line with Alex.

"Ever since I've met you, I've wanted to break every rule." Aiden turned away, the muscles in his neck tensing. He sighed. "You'll become the center of someone's world one day. And he'll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth."
I must say that in this book I preferred Seth to Aiden. He was just more exciting and more fun, definitely the 'bad boy' between the two - and you guys know how I love my bad boys! He is a sexy and cocky character who toys with Alex to no end and I just love him!

Seth twisted up, rolling me onto my back in one fluid motion. Hovering above me, he used one arm to support himself. Only our legs touched, but it still felt like... well, like every part of us was still touching.

"Angel, that's like Apollyon foreplay right there."

"For real?"

"For real." He reached out and brushed a strand of hair off my cheek.

I swallowed. "I didn't know that. My bad, but that's kind of weird. Usually takes more with most guys." I had no idea why I just said that.

Seth's finger trailed over my cheek, down to my chin. "Does it, Angel? Well, what does it take?"

This was probably a conversation not to have with Seth, especially when he was practically lying on top of me. "I think you of all people would know."

His hand slipped to my neck. "I have a secret to tell you. It's not Apollyon foreplay; I'm just messing with you. I have no clue what that was."

"Gods, I hate you."

Aiden is loyal and a terrific guy, but Seth just drew my attention more, especially in the second half of the book, which is During the Council Trip. Seth is also in the book much more here than in book one. Armentrout also lets us see some different sides to Seth (that quote at the beginning of my review comes from him) and also lets us see what a physical attraction between him and Alex looks like - Umm...it looks hot.


"I can feel what you're feeling. And I know you want me to kiss you."

I grasped his arms. "It's not..."

"Not what?" He lifted his head, brushing his nose against mine.

"I..."

"Just let me kiss you."

Gods, I needed him to kiss me. I needed him to keep doing what he was doing with his hands.

Alex is always hesitant of letting herself get completely wrapped up in Seth, partially because she worries that its the Apollyon bond and not true feelings that attract them to each other and partially because of her lingering strong feelings for Aiden. Also she knows Seth is hiding something. Seth has secrets and we don't quite know what they are yet, but those secrets worry me. I suppose we will see what Seth's future holds in the next of the series.

There are a lot of twists and turns, some of them I saw coming and even so was still somehow shocked or saddened by. The change of setting was nice for this book, with most of the main characters traveling to New York to another Covenant for a good part of the plot. Seeing the Council sessions and meeting the different Council members really hit home how awful Alex's world treats half-bloods. We get to see some of the half-blood abuse in action and see those indentured and doped up half-blood servants that are always talked about. It really brings to life the fear that Alex has of becoming one of those servants under the effects of the elixir.

This is a fantastic sequel and makes me on the edge of my seat for book three! Armentrout's writing is smooth and easy to read and I love her characters. If you haven't checked this series out you should definitely do so - right now!


Recommended for fans of: Vampire Academy series, Mythos Academy series, Lux series, love triangles, and daring heroines.  

   


3 comments:

  1. I love this series and can't wait to read Deity.
    I have always been for Aiden, as Seth seemed to have ulterior motives for getting close to Alex.
    Bonnie Hilligoss/bonhill@speakeasy.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Pure as well! I'm looking forward to the third book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! It is so interesting to hear that Alex doesn't view herself as confidently as we do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...