Friday, June 25, 2021

Review: Fugitive Telemetry by Martha Wells


Fugitive Telemetry
(The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Martha Wells
Release: April 27, 2021
Goodreads Amazon
No, I didn’t kill the dead human. If I had, I wouldn’t dump the body in the station mall.

When Murderbot discovers a dead body on Preservation Station, it knows it is going to have to assist station security to determine who the body is (was), how they were killed (that should be relatively straightforward, at least), and why (because apparently that matters to a lot of people—who knew?)

Yes, the unthinkable is about to happen: Murderbot must voluntarily speak to humans!

Again!
Review:
Chronologically, Fugitive Telemetry falls between the end of Exit Strategy (#4) and the start of Network Effect (#5) so it is important to read at least the first four novellas before reading this one.
 
Y'all! Thank god for new Murderbot in this crazy time! I read this book back in April and it was the book I needed in my life at that time. I was stressed out getting myself and my students ready for state testing as we sprinted towards the end of the school year. And it was absolutely wonderful being back in Murderbot's head.
 
I can't begin to explain how delightful it was to watch Murderbot gain some new skills and go full Miss Marple to solve a murder on Preservation Station. And gasp! They need to talk to humans in order to do so! This novella wasn't as action-packed as some of the other novellas but it kept me on the edge of my seat. I kept trying to figure out the who-done-it and there are some delightful curveballs that Martha Wells threw in. 

The story is a murder mystery but it is also the story of Murderbot working to make a space for themselves on the station to be closer to Dr. Mensa and the rest of the humans that adopted them, for better or worse. It was so much fun watching Murderbot navigate the investigation and we got to see some familiar faces besides Dr. Mensa. I can't wait to see what kind of shenanigans Murderbot gets into next!

Side note: I reread this via audiobook recently and I can't recommend listening to the audio of the series enough. Kevin R. Free does a fantastic job with the narration. I had already read the story but I found myself getting lost in how he told the story. I was listening while mowing the yard and can't count the number of times I found myself standing still because I was so caught up in the audiobook.

ARC provided by the Publisher via Netgalley

    1/2
  4.5 / 5 Stars!

My reviews of other books in this series:
RTFB #62- The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...