Wednesday, November 6, 2019

We Love Lists: Books Rose Red Wants to Read Before It's 2020


About this time last year, I made a list of all the books I wanted to read before the end of year and I found it highly motivating in a year that seemed like one never ending reading slump. This year has been nothing like last year. And while I haven't read as many books as previous years, all the books I've read have all been high quality reads. It's been an excellent reading year and I'm hoping to squeeze in a few more books before it's time to make another year's worth of resolutions.

As of today, I'm thirteen books away from completing my Goodreads goal of 104 books. I am determined to finish the year off strong. There's 56 days left in 2019 and I'm hoping that I can read 15 more books between the craziness of being a first year teacher and the normal busyness of the holidays. I'm terrible at sticking to TBRs but I made one anyway. I have a ton of books in my possession that I want to read ASAP so I might not get to all of these. But as of right now, these are the books that I really want to read before the year is over.

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
This book is kind of cheating because this is my current commute read. I'm about halfway through and I'm loving the audio! It's been hard to stop listening to do my grading. I can't wait to see where this story goes!

Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater
I feel like I've been waiting for this Dreamer series for forever! I'm so excited I have it in my hands! I always need more Ronan Lynch in my life. Plus, Maggie says it's her version of an adventure thriller and I am here for it!

Brazen and the Beast by Sarah MacLean
I have no idea why I haven't read this yet. I adored Wicked and the Wallflower and I was stoked for this one from the short preview at the end of it. I'll blame the new job. I will read this one by the end of the year though.

Deosil by Jordan L. Hawk
My beloved Whyborne & Griffin series has come to an end and I'm not ready. I keep putting off reading this because I'm scared about how it will end. I'm going to read this soon. I just need a little more time to prepare to say goodbye.

The Name of All Things by Jenn Lyons
 One of my surprising favorite books of the year was Jenn Lyons debut, The Ruin of Kings, and I am so ready to see what happens next after that ending! Khirin, I'm sure, is going to get up to all sorts of shenanigans and I am here for it especially if a certain vanĂ© is involved. I just got the audio for this and I'm excited for it to be my next commute read!

Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin
This year I discovered and devoured everything Gail Z. Martin has written under her pen name Morgan Brice. I have been meaning to pick this series up ever since I learned it's set in the same universe and connected to her Morgan Brice books. The main character in this series is actually Simon from Badlands cousin. I'm so excited to explore more of this world Gail has written.

Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore
 I only have one more square left in my Romanceopoly challenge and it happens to be the women's fiction challenge. I was having a hard time trying to pick a book for this one because this is a genre I really haven't read. Shout out to Gretl for bringing this one to my attention. I've heard only great things about it so I'm excited to read it.

Reticence by Gail Carriger
 2019 is the year of series enders for series I'm not ready to say goodbye to. And I'm so not ready to say goodbye to the crew of the Spotted Custard. At the same time, I'm dying to read Percy's book. I'm thinking this will be a good one for Thanksgiving break.

After the Crown by K.B. Wagers
 I read the first book in this trilogy earlier this year for book club and I loved it! I'm intrigued to see what happens to Hail and the gang next. I'm excited to read it because I've heard that the series just gets better and better!

Break the Day by Lara Adrian
Rafe's book came out right before school started and I haven't been able to pick it up yet. I've been waiting for his book since the first book about this new generation. I love Adrian's male characters but I adore her strong female characters. That combination is why I can't wait to read Rafe's story and meet Devony.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I read and loved both Simon Snow books this year and I'm dying to read the book that sparked them. Also, it's a book about finding yourself in college and fanfiction. It sounds like something I'll love. Although, I have to be in a certain mood for contemporary so hopefully I get this one read this year.

A Madness of Sunshine by Nalini Singh
Nalini Singh has written a thriller/romantic suspense novel and I am here for it! As a teen, I read every thriller and romantic suspense novel I could get my hands on until I couldn't read them anymore. I've read a few since then but they haven't been my favorite. I'd read Nalini Singh's grocery list so I'm sure she's going to be a breath of fresh air for a beloved genre I'd put aside. I'm so excited to read this one.

A Little Light Mischief by Cat Sebastian
2019 will be known as the year where I got back into historical romance. I binge read Cat Sebastian's Turner series earlier this year and I loved it so much! This is a novella set after the trilogy about one of the Turner brothers' acquaintances, Molly Wilkins, and I'm so excited to read about this female thief turned lady's maid. Add in the fact that it's an f/f romance and I'm even more sold.

To Be Taught if Fortunate by Becky Chambers
You all know how much I love Becky Chambers' Wayfarers series. I'm really excited to read her first published novella not in that series. As much as I love Wayfarers, I want to see what she does in a new work. Honestly, I probably would have had this read already if not for the craziness of starting a new job. I'm still ridiculously excited to read this and can't wait to pick it up.

Loose Ends by Morgan Brice
We don't have a cover for this book yet but it's supposed to be released before the end of the year. I have fallen completely head over heels for Morgan Brice's Badlands series! I love Simon and Vic so much and their paranormal adventures are so unique and different from other PNR/UF books I've read. I'm excited for this book because Simon and Vic are going to Charleston to help Simon's cousin, Cassidy, who is the lead of the Deadly Curiosities series. Morgan Brice's newsletter says that we can expect cameos from characters of her other two series and I am excited.

Those are the books I want to read before we're ringing in 2019. According to my spreadsheet I made for this TBR, I have 56 days to read roughly 5255 pages. That's totally doable! I just need to read 94 pages every day between now and the end of the year. Wish me luck!

What books do you want to read before the end of the year?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...