Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The Ten Oldest Books on My Shelves That I Haven't Read Yet


I've recently gone through my bookshelves to kind of cull my collection and to get rid of some books I didn't like. One of my younger cousins was helping in exchange for the YA books I was getting rid of and she made the comment that I had some really old books on my shelves. I'm a scientist and a serial inventorist when it comes to my books so I have records of when I bought each book. Let's just say I was floored when I saw just how many unread books I had on my shelves that I had bought over five years ago. My cousin kind of shamed me for it. So in an effort to motivate myself to finally get these read, I figured I would share a list of the books I've had on my shelves the longest.


1. Legend by Marie Lu (2011)
I'm ashamed that I haven't read this yet. I bought shortly after it came out because I was in a read all the dystopians mode. Unfortunately, I burned out on the genre before I ever made it to this one so it's sat on my shelves for almost seven years and has moved across the country three times.


2. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (2006)
I bought this after binge reading the Sandman comics with the bestie to read together and we never got to it because college got in the way. I really need to read this now that there's a mini-series being made of it.


3. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (2012)
I bought this book the day it came out because I was so excited to see how this series of companion novels played out. I read about 25 pages and had to put it down because I moved the next day and I never picked it up again. I'm really ashamed that I haven't read this one yet.


4. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (2005)
I received this book from my BFF's grandma when we graduated from high school and I still haven't read it. It's been 13 years. Please forgive me, Nana! I can't even tell you why I haven't read it yet. I just haven't.

 

5. The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs (2010)
I bought this after I ran out of Mercy Thompson books when I first binged the series. Sadly, it got forgotten about as I discovered other urban fantasy series. Someone recently told me that it was Briggs's version of a Beauty and the Beast retelling and I think I need that in my life like ASAP.


6. The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley (2003)
This is the only unread Robin McKinley book I have on my shelves and I've had it for a long, long time. And I honestly can't tell you why I haven't read it yet. Maybe it's because once it's read I will be out of McKinley books until she publishes more. That's probably the reason.


7. Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede (2009)
This book is like the previous one where it's the last unread book I have by the author and I just can't bring myself to read it and be out of Wrede books.


8. Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (2012)
I bought this book the year it came out simply because it had a sword coming out of a book and a glowing spider on the cover. I still haven't read it but I've heard excellent things about the whole series.


9. Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett (2011)
Funny story. I actually picked this book up at a comic convention soon after it came out. I really didn't know what it was about but I brought it home and put it on the shelf. Since then, I've collected the other books in the series and have read most of her other books. This might be cheating but I'm currently reading this one right now and it's been excellent so far!


10. Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier (2009)
I bought this book as a reward for getting through one of my toughest semesters as an undergrad. Sadly, it went into a box soon after and wasn't found until I moved again almost three years later. So I still need to read it. It'll be my first Marillier book once I get to it and I'm still excited about the premise all these years later.

What books have been on your shelves the longest?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...