Wednesday, April 25, 2018

We Love Lists: Authors We Would Love to See Write Vampires


If you've been on Twitter recently, you've probably seen a lot of talk about vampires. Specifically, that vampire books need to make a comeback.


From what I can tell, the whole discussion was sparked by several agents tweeting out on the #MSWL hashtag requesting vampire book submissions like this one.


Here at Goldilox and the Three Weres we love vampire books and we are all for them becoming popular/mainstream again. What I loved the most about this discussion were the side discussions about the new directions these stories could take and I'm not going to lie, it makes me super excited about the future of vampire books. Bring on POC vamps! Multi-generational vampire clans! Queer vampires! Vamps going to space! Just think of all the possibilities!

That being said, it got us thinking about who would write these new vampire stories? Rose Red has a few authors in mind that could take on this challenge. The worst thing about this list is knowing that it'll probably never happen. But we can dream, right?


V. E. Schwab
This is no surprise, is it? Victoria has such a wide range with her books that I can't even imagine what a vampire book by her would turn out like but I can imagine it being dark and gritty and unlike any other vamp book I've read. Let's be honest, I'd read the hell out of it just because it's by V.


Adam Silvera
I want an Adam Silvera vampire book so badly! Can you imagine it? IT WOULD BE A GAY VAMPIRE ROMANCE! It will most likely break me but at least one or both of the main characters will be a person of color. I just need a gay latino vampire romance in my life and Adam would be the best one to write it.


Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
You all know how much I adore Jay and Amie's Illuminae Files series. They were the first authors I thought of when I thought about VAMPS IN SPACE! Can you imagine it? It would be violent and action-packed and would probably give me several heart attacks but it would be glorious! Could this seriously be a thing though? I really really want this to become a thing.


Maggie Stiefvater
Stiefvater's done werewolves, faeries, flesh-eating horses, and lost Welsh Kings and dreamers but just imagine what Maggie could do with VAMPIRES!?! CAN YOU IMAGINE A MAGGIE VAMP NOVEL!?! I can and it would be both glorious and whimsically dark and I want this to happen someday! I would read it in a heartbeat!


Roan Parrish
One of my favorite books last year was Roan Parrish's The Remaking of Corbin Wale and I haven't been able to get the thought of what she'd be able to do with vampires since I read that book. Her romances are sweet and adorable while also being real and whimsical. I would read a vampire romance by her in a New York minute and she has the range to write any pairing from m/m to m/f to f/f. I just want her to write a vampire book so badly!  

Kerri Maniscalco
I adore Kerri's Stalking Jack the Ripper series and just how much research goes into them as historical novels. She'd be my number one pick to write a historical vampire novel. Can you imagine a vampire mystery romance set amongst the Chicago World Fair? Or aboard the Titanic? Or maybe set during the Industrial Revolution? I can if Kerri writes it.


C.S. Pacat
I adore both Pacat's Captive Prince series and her Fence comic series she does with Johanna the Mad. She has a way with both worldbuilding and creating characters that defy expectations and gender norms. She also is great at the enemies-to-lovers trope and I can't help but want to see what she'd do with vampires. She'd write amazing queer vamps as well as genderfluid ones and I really need more of both in my life.


Tara Sim
Tara became one of my auto-buy authors with her debut novel, Timekeeper, and I can't help but imagine what she'd do with vamps. We know she would do a hell of a job with a vampire steampunk novel but just think what she could do with Southeast Asian vamps? I would kill for a vampire book about Indian vamps and how they'd deal with British colonization and Tara would do such a book justice.


Ashley Poston
I don't really have a justification for this one besides the fact that I think Ashley would rock our worlds with a vampire novel. I adored her Geekerella and I have found great joy in following her anime rants/raves on Twitter. And she gave us #baesinspace with a sci-fi Anastasia retelling! Just think about the awesomeness she could give us with vampires!?!

Which authors would you want to see write a vampire book?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...