Monday, July 31, 2017

Review: Wildfire by Ilona Andrews


Wildfire
(Hidden Legacy #3)
Ilona Andrews
Release: July 25, 2017
Goodreads Amazon
Just when Nevada Baylor has finally come to accept the depths of her magical powers, she also realizes she’s fallen in love. Connor “Mad” Rogan is in many ways her equal when it comes to magic, but she’s completely out of her elements when it comes to her feelings for him. To make matters more complicated, an old flame comes back into Rogan’s life…

Rogan knows there’s nothing between him and his ex-fiance, Rynda Sherwood. But as Nevada begins to learn more about her past, her power, and her potential future, he knows she will be faced with choices she never dreamed of and the promise of a life spent without him.

As Nevada and Rogan race to discover the whereabouts of Rynda’s kidnapped husband and are forced to confront Nevada’s grandmother, who may or may not have evil motives, these two people must decide if they can trust in each other or allow everything to go up in smoke.

Review:
Everyone here knows that I'm an avid Ilona Andrews fangirl and that any novel they write is on my auto-buy list, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I absolutely adored this book! Wildfire starts off a few hours after the conclusion of White Hot and it was a ride from that point on. My advice for when you start this book is to not start it until you have enough time to read it in one go. I started it before bed one night thinking I'd read a bit and then finish it the next day. That's not what happened. I just kept reading until I finished the book at 4am. I should know better than to start an Ilona Andrews book before bed by now.

I know I said it in my review of White Hot but I completely adore the Baylor family! I love their dynamic together and that each member is so different from the others except for the deep love they feel for each other. Both of those things lead to some hilarious and tender moments in the book. I loved finding out more about Leo, Catalina, and Arabella's magic. Honestly, I did not see Arabella's brand of magic coming but it added so much to the story! I also adore how big the Baylor's hearts are. Matilda and Cornelius have kind of been integrated into the family along with Rogan and it was everything! Also, can I say I want to find someone who loves me as much as Grandma Frida loves Romeo?

Nevada has come a long way since the start of the series. She was always self-assured and very self-aware with a deep devotion to her family but in this book, she is more open and accepting of letting others into her tight circle, especially of Rogan and the feelings she's developed for him. She’s used to being the one taking care of problems for her family but not so used to someone helping her take care of her problems. The fact that she doesn’t keep fighting it, while working to maintain her own need for hard-won independence, was a very nice development.

The same can be said for Rogan. He isn’t used to anyone restraining him or putting restrictions on how far he is allowed to go for his goals. Nevada makes him a little more human, which means a little more vulnerable. He's never resentful for that. In fact, he seems to be mostly grateful that she doesn't let him toe the line. He's adapting and trying to bridge the gap between his possessiveness and Nevada’s needs to make their relationship work. Like Nevada, he isn’t used to anyone taking care of him, so Nevada’s care is new, surprising, and very much welcome.

What I loved most about this book is that it had so many opportunities for there to be angsty drama between Nevada and Rogan, but every time it went in the complete opposite direction of the angst. There was communication and trust between them and it was so refreshing to read! A lot of authors feel like they have to keep the pot of misery stirred to make magic happen. Nevada and Rogan are constantly in situations filled with mortal danger, why would they need more issues? The relationship between them really pushed the book forward and made me believe in them more. I love them together so much!

Wildfire is supposed to be the third and last book in the Hidden Legacy trilogy, but the authors have mentioned that they plan to write at least one more book with Nevada and Rogan and maybe more in the universe. And that is very much how the novel reads. Plot lines that need to be wrapped up to satisfy the reader are wrapped up, but some larger plot lines are left open.

COME ON, AVON! GET ON THAT! I NEED MORE BOOKS IN THIS SERIES! Thankfully, the authors announced on their blog that if the next book isn't picked up by the publisher that they'd self-publish it which is wonderful news! Because I need at least one more Nevada and Rogan book! I would like to note here that I also want a book about Catalina and a certain Italian mage. And an Arabella book! And a Bern book! And a Leo book! And hell, I want a Matilda when she's older book. And before I can start listing books for each member of Rogan's team, let's just say I need more books set in this universe period.

ARC was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.

    
  5 / 5 Stars!

My reviews of other books in this series:
Burn For Me by Ilona Andrews
White Hot by Ilona Andrews


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...