Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Books to Get You Out of a Reading Slump

Top 5 Wednesday is a group of bloggers, booktubers and bookstagrammers posting on a common topic every (you guessed it) Wednesday. You can find the lists by searching #T5W or Top 5 Wednesday. And you can join the group on Goodreads if you want to participate.


This week's topic is Books to Get You Out of a Reading Slump.

Winter is a hard season for a lot of people and many of us are slumpy. Let's talk about some books that are great for getting you out of a slump!

5. Rereads
One way to get out of a slump is to read something you've already read. There's no pressure to review and no worries that you might not like it. I've reread the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series four times each, but I think the next time I'm in a rut I may go for Nalini Singh and some Psy-Changelings. -Gretl
178476
My go-to method for busting out of a slump is to reread old favorites. I tend to pick up paranormal romances, urban fantasy, childhood favorites. Nalini Singh's books have been my go-to slump busters since I first read the Psy-Changeling series in 2014. I also love rereading Harry Potter, The Blue Sword, and Patricia C. Wrede's books to get out of a slump. -Rose Red

4. Paranormal Romance
Last year I was feeling slumpy when I picked up The Leopard King by Ann Aguire. It combines old school trope-y PNR with a completely new fantasy world that reminds me a bit of The Others series. It was just the thing to get me reading again! -Gretl
32177538
3. Urban Fantasy
I love reading urban fantasy to get out slumps whether they are new series or rereads! Urban fantasy's fast-pace and familiar worlds are awesome at kickstarting you back into reading. When I'm in a slump I tend to gravitate towards rereading Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series, Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels books, and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega series. -Rose Red
3819326
2. Series Binge
I know that sounds wrong - get out of a reading slump by reading a whole series, but it's worked for me a few times. I think maybe it's because it takes off the pressure of having to find your next book for a while. Or maybe it's just that I'm a natural binge reader. It's fun to be able to pick up the next book the minute you finish and stay in that world for like a week.

 Last year I binged Paige Tyler's SWAT series when nothing else sounded good to me. The year before I did J.D. Tyler's Alpha Pack series. They both blend romantic suspense and shifter PNR. Both authors were also new to me at the time. I think the first time I read the Psy-Changeling series, which was about four years ago, it was a slump buster as well. -Gretl
14384
I did this as well last year but with Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series and Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark books. -Rose Red

1. Contemporary Romance
A lot of times my reading rut is really an I don't want to write a review rut. When that happens my go to is contemp romance. I'll usually pick up a rom com like Emma Chase or Alice Clayton or suspense like Julie Ann Walker. The last time I didn't want to write reviews I read Idol by Kristen Callihan, which I highly recommend. -Gretl
29541818

What books do you read to get out of a slump?


and

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...