Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Really Short Reviews: Mandy Baxter, Nalini Singh and Shiloh Walker

It's official! Really Short Reviews are a hit! So keep an eye out for them periodically here at Goldilox and the Three Weres. This week I'm reviewing some Contemporary Romances I've read recently.

One Night More (US Marshals #1) by Mandy Baxter
Release: September 2, 2014 Source: ARC provided by publisher
My Really Short Review: Galen and Harper had a one night stand that ended in a huge misunderstanding. A year later she witnesses a murder and he's the US Marshal assigned to protect her. He pretends not to remember her in order to stay on the case, which only makes the situation more awkward. I really liked Harper and Galen. (And Landon, who's the hero of the next book.) I also enjoyed Harper's pop culture references -- she's a really fun narrator. The last 25% or so of the book was really exciting! There was a little lull in the middle, but Harper was getting bored too so I guess it makes sense.

I had to question Harper's and even Galen's investigative skills though. She's a journalist and he's in law enforcement, and at one point I thought it was obvious who was after her but they didn't even try to figure it out. They seemed to get too distracted by their relationship to worry about the danger she was in. I still really liked the book. It was exciting and sexy and kept me turning the page. I'll just try not to think too hard about why the characters didn't see all the clues that I did.
 
    
 4  stars


Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss #1) by Nalini Singh
Release: September 9, 2104 Source: ARC provided by publisher
Links Goodreads Amazon
My Really Short Review: Nalini Singh wrote a rock star romance! Fox is the lead singer of Schoolboy Choir, one of the biggest bands in the world. He meets Molly, the band's publicist's little sister at a party and convinces her to take him home. The two agree to turn their one night together into a month while the band vacations in New Zealand, but Molly is terrified of being photographed with Fox. Her politician father's scandal made her hate the media. Fox wants to make their relationship permanent but doesn't know how to help Molly overcome her fear.

 I know everyone is all excited about this book, but I thought it was just ok. I like the main characters, Fox and Molly. I like the supporting cast. I especially enjoyed the scenes with the rest of the band. It seems to set up three other couples for future books. (The one I'm most interested in is Charlie and T-rex and since they're not part of the band, I'm not sure how they would fit into the series.) The story just sort of dragged for me. Not much happens in the first half, other than lots of sex, which is not as graphic or as kinky as I would have expected given the quantity. (That's just an observation, not really a criticism.) I didn't feel like Fox and Molly's relationship was really challenged by anything other than their personal baggage. Though the would-be obstacles were interesting, they didn't seem to really threaten the relationship.

I will still keep reading this series to see what happens with the other characters. I think the members of Schoolboy Choir have a lot of potential.


   
 stars


You Own Me by Shiloh Walker
Release: August 4, 2014 Source: ARC provided by publisher
My Really Short Review: Lizzie and Decker were best friends in high school. Then he went to prison. Exactly what he did isn't revealed until the end, but it's clear early on that he was protecting Lizzie. Shortly before Decker's release, Lizzie starts dating Noel and Decker thinks he's missed his shot to be more than a friend. But when Noel asks Lizzie for an open relationship, he sees his chance. He goes about winning her over in kind of an unusual way though.

I really enjoyed this story. But it's one of those romances that falls apart a little if I think about it too much. Noel has a lot of holes in his story and I got increasingly frustrated with Lizzie for not figuring it out. I wish she hadn't been such a doormat. I liked Decker even though the tattooed mechanic ex-con is a bit of a cliché. If you enjoy friends to lovers stories or tortured, tattooed heroes give this novella a try.

 
   1/2
 3 1/2 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...