Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Audio Review: How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back by Diana Rowland

How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back
(White Trash Zombie #4)
Author: Diana Rowland
Narrator: Allison McLemore
Release: July 1, 2014
Goodreads  Amazon
Audible
It’s zombie versus zombie as the Saberton Corporation declares war against the Zombie Mafia, kidnapping several of their party. It falls to Angel to lead the remnants of her gang halfway across the country to claw their way through corporate intrigue, zombie drugs, and undead trafficking to rescue her friends—and expose the traitor responsible for their abduction...
Review:

How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back is another fun, exciting, hilarious book in the White Trash Zombie series! Before beginning the audio, I read in a few reviews that this installment is very different from the previous three and some readers found themselves not as entertained. After listening to the audio I can agree that the plot in this book is a little different from the previous books. In this one, Angel travels with some of the side characters we haven't gotten to know that well yet in order to rescue some of the group's friends that have been taken by the Saberton Corp. Its true that this is definitely different because we don't get to see Angel in her normal environment working at the morgue and interacting with the characters that work there. But I enjoyed getting to know characters like Naomi, Kyle, Brian, and even Piedro - especially Piedro! What a story line he has coming! I was certainly entertained!

Phillip also played a larger role in HTWTZGHGB as well. I don't know what is going on between him and Angel. I sometimes think the author is taking us down a path toward them being romantic, but other times I think their relationship is just because of the whole zombie momma/zombie baby thing. I don't quite get a lot of what happened in this book between Angel and all the men in her life. All I know is Marcus and I are not friends and I hope he takes on a different role in future books because I don't like him for Angel. And she's got this strange relationship with Phillip, plus Nick!!! Rowland gives us a couple very mysterious glimpses into Nick (guy that works at the morgue and has been tutoring Angel) and his *possible* feelings for Angel. I don't even think Nick knows how Nick feels yet so we readers certainly don't either.

My two favorite aspects of this series are always Angel's character growth and Angel's unique personality. Often I like my screwed up heroine to stay messed up for a while, but I find myself really loving that Angel grows a little more in each book. She is becoming more self confident and independent and I love it. But, she doesn't lose any of her great personality in the process. The quotes that fly out of her mouth are honest and genuine and freaking hilarious. I often giggle snort when listening to this series on audio.

Notes on the Narrator: I just love Allison's southern twang for Angel. It's a very believable Louisiana accent in my opinion, set apart from other southern accents. And she nails Angel's one-liners with just the right amount of humor. I highly recommend these on audio, but be prepared for the accent!

Recommended for fans of: humorous urban fantasy, white trash zombies, main characters who grow, and Piedro.



    

3 comments:

  1. I've been holding on to this one until I was in the mood for it. I wasn't blown away by book 3 so I want to go into this one ready for it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this is not my favorite book of the series, I did enjoy it. I liked seeing Angel prove herself, not only to her, but to the team on their mission. I was very disappointed with the very end, but I'm hoping that Rowland has something planned in the next book to answer a bunch of questions that came up in the last chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep saying I'm I"m gonna read this series. LOL. I just have way too many books on my TBR list. I love the covers on this books though! =)))

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...