Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Blade Song by J.C. Daniels

Blade Song
(Kit Colbana #1)
J.C. Daniels
Release: August 1, 2012
Goodreads     Amazon

Kit Colbana—half breed, assassin, thief, jack of all trades—has a new job: track down the missing ward of one of the local alpha shapeshifters. It should be a piece of cake.
So why is she so nervous? It probably has something to do with the insanity that happens when you deal with shifters—especially sexy ones who come bearing promises of easy jobs and easier money.
Or maybe it’s all the other missing kids that Kit discovers while working the case, or the way her gut keeps screaming she’s gotten in over her head. Or maybe it’s because if she fails—she’s dead.
If she can stay just one step ahead, she should be okay. Maybe she’ll even live long to collect her fee…

You know how sometimes you feel like you read a different book than everyone else? Yeah, that's me and Blade Song. I did not care for this book at all. I adore urban fantasy, its my favorite genre to read. I like the love/hate relationships, the strong heroines, the balance of fighting and romance, and the mysteries to be solved. This book fell flat for me in every one of those areas.

The heroine is supposed to be a baddass that several are comparing to Kate Daniels. She wields a katana and works with shifters. Sound familiar? Unfortunately, at the mention of her name in the same breath as Kit's, Kate Daniels has passed out from shock. Kit and Kate are nothing alike. Kit makes stupid decisions over and over again and her choices of allies and enemies boggles the mind (Jude the vampire? NOT your friend Kit). And she is supposed to be a sword master with her katana that she has a special connection with. Instead, we CONSTANTLY see her using other weapons instead of the sword. Why? I want to see some serious sword fighting dammit!

Kit's relationship with our hero, Damon, starts off on shaky ground and they instantly don't like each other (although Kit is attracted to his physical hotness). I thought I was getting some of that love/hate that I love, where the hero and heroine banter back and forth until their chemistry wins out and they fall madly in love, and into bed. That is not what I got. Kit and Damon have a hate/hate relationship, with both treating the other awfully. Their banter is not playful and on the edge between arguing and flirting. Their's is just fighting and being mean. There is even a point where Damon smashes Kit's head again the trunk of a car and chokes her out to the point that her throat and voice are messed up for a while. What. The. Hell? How am I supposed to swoon over that? And Damon is not nearly as apologetic as he should be or charming enough after that happens for me to get over it. Ugh.

Then, at 60% in, suddenly they are head over heels for each other. Its a very awkward transition that felt disjointed to me. Why the sudden change? I just couldn't by it.

I also didn't really love the world this story takes place in. None of the secondary characters really flourish for me and I felt like it was just the Kit and Damon show with these useless extra people occasionally thrown in.

I read just over 70% of this book, which I think was quite noble of me considering my issues with it. I also feel that this is enough of the book to write an honest review of it. I realize that the romantic relationship probably continues to evolve in the last 30% of the book, but I just couldn't get there.

However, several of my good blogger friends have read and loved this book - and I mean loved it. If you're still on the fence, please feel free to read their positive reviews and make up your mind for yourself. I have listed links to their reviews below. This one just wasn't for me AT ALL, even though I gave it a valiant effort.

Not Recommended.


 
(DNF)

Check out some other opinions:



1 comment:

  1. Aww, too bad you hated it. I actually enjoyed it. Not that Kit can ever be Kate but I can see why they are being compared.

    I'm also reading a book which I'm in too minds of making into a DNF. Haven't done that before but it's simply boring.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...